Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

Am a happy W8.1 user and am reasonably careful security wise.

However, many web authors say you should use the latest version of windows  to ensure you have the best security.

Should I move to W10 and all its problems we read about or is W8.1 still safe enough ?

( I did try out W10 with the free upgrade last year but I kept having freeze ups so reverted to 8.1.

However did take system images of W10 so should be able to go back to it, this time trying a clean install to see if that cures the freezing )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

If you are happy with Windows 8.1 stick with it. You will get Security Updates until 2023. By that time you will most likely have a new computer designed for Windows 10. 

90% of Security is attributable to users themselves and how they browse, download unknown files, and open email attachments from unknown senders.

#3 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thanks,  as you get older its harder to keep up with so many changing things , so it is safer in a way to keep with a system you know and so hopefully easier to spot a problem quicker.

Know a lot of folk say W8/8.1 is bad, but never had any problem with it, really smooth for me. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users