Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cat5 Wiring A vs B

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amallon

amallon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Hi,

I am wiring a small office in Cat6 Cable.  At each point where a PC is to be located the electrician has wired the RJ45 module to correspond to type B.  At the patch panel end he has terminated to type A.  The strange thing is that everything works.  I when I connect in one of the PC's in the office connects to the network no problem.  From what I have read online everyone say both ends need to be the same, do I need to change both sides to match?  Are there any side effects to leaving things as they are?

Also I have bought a basic cable tester for 25 quid on amazon.  When I plug it into both ends of a patch lead I see lights 1-8 come on in sequence.  If I plug one end into a computer point in the office and the other end into the patch panel the lights jump around all over the place.  This happens even if both ends are A or B.  I'm thinking there is something in the patch panel that doesn't agree with the tester?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

A to B makes a crossover cable.  It works because modern nics detect that and compensate accordingly.  Installer should have been made to come back and complete the job correctly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users