Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 crash loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 staryynights

staryynights

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

Hello there internet peeps,

Ok, so, possibly a simple problem. Windows 7 wont boot. Its stuck in one of those interminable loops which i just can't resolve. When I try to log on i get a windows error recovery message saying that I have damaged or incorrectly configured windows files and get offered a chance to launch start-up recovery (which leads to loading bars, a black screen and ultimately an unresolved problem) which recovers nothing and refers me to the manufacturer's start-up recovery which also does exactly nothing. The second option is to start windows normally. This option just leads to windows almost getting to the log-on screen but then restarting and taking you back to the error message I mentioned earlier.

The background to this is that about a year ago the charger to the laptop broke. No problems like this before then. Took me about a year to replace it. When I did, it worked fine for about a minute then I get this blue message (attached) which I don't get anymore. I've installed Ubuntu on a thumb drive and tried to access it that way but i get a similar message (attached) that I dont really understand.

The goal is to gain access to the hard drive to recover some files and then format so I never have to look at windows again. If i can do this by by passing windows entirely all the better. If anyone could tell me the quickest way to do this or a description of the problem in a way that I can understand I would be most grateful. Puppies and kittens (in the form of a digital double thumbs up) for workable solutions.

Attached File  IMG_20151214_095717.jpg   76.43KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170420_132116.jpg   92.11KB   1 downloads

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CMFordham

CMFordham

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

I'm sure I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as some of the guys on this site, but I had a problem like yours a couple of years ago and fixed it with command prompt.  Worth a shot, and it won't hurt.

Run cmd as an admin.  I believe on Windows 7 you have an icon in your start menu to run it as an admin, or perhaps if you CTRL + SHIFT and select, it should open as an admin.

Then sfc /scannow (just how it's typed here.)

Here's a link to an easy how-to.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Hope it works or at least narrows down the issue!

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like a problem with the hard drive. Can you perform Seagate Seatools for DOS's long generic test?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users