Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc - Old Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spgster

spgster

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:13 AM

Hi All,

I am taking delivery of a new PC over the next week, and I have a 250 gig hard drive with stuff on it that I wish to keep.

Normally I'd assume I can just plug the new drive in (set to slave) and let windows pick up the disc, but I have partitioned this disc into separate virtual drives using the windows disk management system.

My question is, will it be OK to plug the disc in, and will windows XP be able to read the disc in its partitioned form?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:51 AM

Yes, it should. Adjust the jumper on the back to slave (if needed) and see what happens. If your computer points to the old hard drive to boot, then you may have to adjust a setting in the BIOS so that your new computer will not boot to your old hard drive. This is not the usual Boot Order settings, but rather another setting, probably called something like Hard Drive Boot Order so you can select which hard drive to boot from first.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 spgster

spgster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:34 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I am sure it is going to be a case of plug it in and see, but I was a bit worried that I could end up trashing the drive!

I'll give it a go and report back.

Thanks,

Steve

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:59 PM

Just set the jumper to slave or secondary and connect it to the middle connection on the IDE ribbon cable.

You should not have a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users