Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I7 4970k running at 80c full load gaming?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike3245

Mike3245

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:57 AM

I have my i7 4970k not overclocked when I run turbo it seems to be fine but I went into my motherboard and disabled it and set it too dynamic mode in my bios of my msi H81m p33 at 4.4 ghz which is the maximum boost clock the manufacturer allowed it to go up too but when I did my ghost recon wild lands game makes the CPU use over 86 degrees Celsius then it throttles down is this normal I am using the hyper 212 evo custom cooler with one fan and thermal paste is applied also ghost recon was set to max settings on 4k with my gtx 1080ti and I do have intake fans. I should also mention my old CPU the i5 4460 set to dynamic not overclocked like this one didn't use this much heat with an intel stock cooler while playing wild lands and almost on max at 4k with gtx 1080 and when I did a test in prime 95 with my i7 4970k non overclocked dynamic mode on prime 95 with stock cooler it went up and over 100c and my computer crashed but with custom cooler it went up to 88 at most and just throttles down to 80 during testing with no crashes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

That's normal. i7-4790 is hot CPU because it does no use soldered HS but crappy paste under heat spreader.

To put it shortly: That's not a bug, it's feature. Buy AMD if you want to avoid problems like that.

#3 Mike3245

Mike3245
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:48 PM

Well I do have a custom coldered heat sink that I'm using hyper 212 evo I don't use stock anymore and it's still pretty hot obviously not as hot as before but I don't really know why and just wanted to know if it was a bug I guess not

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

I suggest you search this forum on the i7 and "overheating."

Also see these threads on the Intel Community Forums regarding your specific version of i7 and temperature concerns:

https://communities.intel.com/search.jspa?q=i7+4790k+overheating&place=%2Fplaces%2F34548&depth=ALL 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

hi,

why not try a different thermal paste

your cpu cooler give a good airflow but is not the best cooler for an i7..

check if your cooler is seating properly and it is secure on your motherboard and furthermore your I7 do not have any serious overheating problems unless your cooler is crappy or extreme overclocked

your stock intel cooler is just fine your your i7

#6 Mike3245

Mike3245
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:15 PM

My intake fan was places the opposite way lol I fixed it by switching it around

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken