Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Questions about IT Jobs..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TryllZ

TryllZ

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hi all,

I wanted to do know if Middlesex University's Network Management & Cloud Post Graduate Program, Is the program worthy of network or cloud related jobs ?

Is the content of the program is any good for a job in Cloud or Networking industry to begin with ?

Also I'm confused between doing certifications or Masters degree because I am truly confused about the job market and the education required for it.

I see same jobs having different educational/vendor cert requirements and vice versa, how is it possible to study all vendor certification to just find 1 suitable job, for example network admin, some ask for Cisco, some ask for Microsoft Certs, some ask for Juniper, some ask for others, if I were to choose Cloud, then some ask for VMWare Cloud, some ask for MCSE Cloud, some ask for AWS, some ask for Google and some for Cisco Cloud, and to my amazement some ask for all of these with 8+ years of experience. In some cases some ask for a mixed bag of certs,

What I am not able to understand is how can i do all of these certifications (if I do just some certifications I might not even get a job, and I know of people who never did any of these certifications and they work as IT Solutions Manager or something) with the cost per course being so much, that I actually compared the total cost of VMWare (from Basic to just Professional, NOT advanced Professional) certification of Cloud with a Masters degree in cloud, the masters degree actually cost less that of certs but nobody asks for the degree.

For a new person to join the industry in its very confusing and frightening.

Any help or insight is definitely appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

The course information you linked doesn't seem to have any specific information to allow me to see what certifications you may be able to pass after taking the course.  The last 60 hours seems to be related to a project where your interests lie.  As you can see from the job advertisements different certifications are desired for different types of work.

The degree is only part of what you need to get a job.  You're also going to need certifications or experience.

You're going to need to obtain the certifications needed for the job you are interested in doing.  So, if you do take this course you will need to pay attention to area that interests you and obtain certifications .  I'd probably start off with getting Network+ and then going into the specific tests you will need.  Network+ will contain part of the information you will need for Microsoft Network Administration and Cisco.

#3 TryllZ

TryllZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

The course information you linked doesn't seem to have any specific information to allow me to see what certifications you may be able to pass after taking the course.  The last 60 hours seems to be related to a project where your interests lie.  As you can see from the job advertisements different certifications are desired for different types of work.

The degree is only part of what you need to get a job.  You're also going to need certifications or experience.

You're going to need to obtain the certifications needed for the job you are interested in doing.  So, if you do take this course you will need to pay attention to area that interests you and obtain certifications .  I'd probably start off with getting Network+ and then going into the specific tests you will need.  Network+ will contain part of the information you will need for Microsoft Network Administration and Cisco.

Thank you very much for taking the time much appreciated.

The course basically touches in depth on Networks, Cloud and Virtualization as well and I am interested in Cloud and virtualization and intend to go for VMWare Cloud or Virtualization although I'm considering Cisco Cloud as well.

But again my question is, both seem interlinked by that I mean is I need a job to be able to afford certifications cost (at the moment I only have money to do either certifications or Masters) and I need to have certifications in advance to get a job as the jobs speciy, so how does that part work.

Thanks again..

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

You may be able to get a job with just the degree, but you will enhance your chances if you also have the certifications.  A degree won't tell prospective employers about what you actually know, the certifications will show them that you have sufficient knowledge to pass the certifications.  Neither one will be real world experience that is completely different than university or certification.

The hard part is getting into IT.  Once you're in IT and have the work experience it gets easier to get a different job if you want.

#5 TryllZ

TryllZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

You may be able to get a job with just the degree, but you will enhance your chances if you also have the certifications.  A degree won't tell prospective employers about what you actually know, the certifications will show them that you have sufficient knowledge to pass the certifications.  Neither one will be real world experience that is completely different than university or certification.

The hard part is getting into IT.  Once you're in IT and have the work experience it gets easier to get a different job if you want.

Thanks for taking the time out, appreciate it.

Gave a me a picture good enough to understand.

Edited by TryllZ, 23 April 2017 - 10:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users