Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop waking from sleep with lid closed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 austinchao98

austinchao98

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

Despite my extensive Googling, I have not found a solution to this frustrating problem. My laptop (ASUS Zenbook UX305CA) keeps waking from sleep with the lid closed. This is pretty concerning when I take my laptop out of its sleeve in my backpack, and it's pretty hot to the touch with about 50% battery down from 100%. I have:

Ran powercfg /lastwake. It returns Power button. Since this happens with the lid closed, you can understand my confusion.

Ran powercfg -devicequery wake_armed. Returns NONE.

Ran powercfg /waketimers. Returns There are no active wake timers in the system; I made sure to disable them in power settings.

Checked in device manager that my network adapter wasn't permitted to wake the device. That option was actually grayed out, unchecked and unable to be checked, so I'm assuming that's good.

Disabled 'Wake from sleep' setting in the 'Reboot' scheduled event of the Windows UpdateOrchestrator

This is becoming very frustrating. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could report back with advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

Find Out What Woke Up Your Computer

Posted Image

#3 austinchao98

austinchao98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the reply. lastwake returns Power Button, and wake_programmable returns None. In the event viewer, all 'sleep' actions were due to the Power button or lid (As expected, I put my computer to sleep by closing the lid) and all 'Resumed from sleep/low power state' events were caused by Power button, the issue at hand which I can't understand, since I'm not pressing the power button and it's not like anything can press it with the lid closed. Also, it wakes up after a while, so it's not like the lid itself is pressing the power button and waking it the moment it goes to sleep.

I'd appreciate any further advice!

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

Change what power button does from Control Panel --> Power Options ---> Choose what the power button do.

Posted Image

#5 austinchao98

austinchao98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

Already changed it do 'do nothing'. I got this laptop recently, and it's annoying having the power button right next to the delete button on my keyboard, instead of on the hinge. Every time I missed the Delete button, my laptop would turn off, so I changed the power button function to 'Do nothing'.

However, I do believe that no matter what you selected as the power button function, in sleep mode, the power button (and any other key press) will wake the computer.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Could you check your bios ... specifically for Power option where if "Power on AC attach" is Enabled. The system is powered on when AC is attached. When the system is in hibernate state, the system resumes.

This could be one other reason that your laptop would wake from Standby without pressing the power button.

Try disabling this option and let me know

Posted Image

#7 austinchao98

austinchao98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

Unfortunately, my BIOS doesn't allow for much customization; the 'Wake on AC' option wasn't there. The only power related option was 'Wake on lid open', which was obviously enabled. I'd think that option is mostly likely irrelevant as the lid is closed when the laptop wakes, and the system doesn't identify the lid as the reason for waking.

#8 austinchao98

austinchao98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

Unfortunately, my BIOS doesn't allow for much customization; the 'Wake on AC' option wasn't there. The only power related option was 'Wake on lid open', which is obviously enabled. I'd think that would be irrelevant though, as the system wakes when the lid is closed, and the system doesn't identify the lid as the reason for waking (like it does when it goes into sleep mode).

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

Open power options --> change plan settings ---> change advanced power settings ---> sleep --> allow wake timers

Then check disable to both "on battery" and "plugged in".

Click OK and close the window.

Posted Image

#10 austinchao98

austinchao98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

Thank you for the reply, although I already mentioned in the original post that I did this. Detailed in the original post are all of my efforts to fix this.

Looking forward to your response!

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

I'm sorry i'm out of ideas.

Posted Image

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

One idea here

https://superuser.com/questions/1020768/laptop-wakes-up-from-sleep-every-several-hours

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

Laptops have a magnet/sensor that tells if the lid is opened or closed. Perhaps there is an issue with your Zen. Read the comments of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km_03iAATTg

#14 austinchao98

austinchao98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

I ran a test to see if hibernation was the issue; I set hibernation time to 1 minute, and closed the lid. The computer went to sleep, and 1 minute later, successfully went into hibernation (a mode which I have never seen because my system always wakes before hibernating).

As far as the faulty lid, I find it unlikely, as my laptop is rather new, and I have had no problems with the lid function. I close it, it sleeps. I open it, it wakes. Furthermore, the system specifically identified the Power Button as the cause for wakeup. The Power Button and the Lid are two separate entities in the system's Event Logger. -lastwake and the Event Log both report, specifically, the Power Button (Fixed Feature) as the cause for wakeup, whereas in the Event Logger, the Lid is identified as the cause for going into a 'low power state'.

Appreciate the help guys. Keep it coming! Doubt this is going to become any less frustrating with time...

#15 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

I think JohnC-21 may be onto something regarding a malfunctioning magnetic field sensor/switch

See this thread here for instance

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-asus-g53sw-xn1-when-closing-the-lid.620997/page-2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users