Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Reset Windows 10 Password without Reset Disk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 redroset

redroset

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

I caused the problem by not knowing what I was doing and was DEEP inside the bowels of my ASUS laptop Windows 10. I was trying to removed previous owner's user name - there's a regular place to do it but it didn't so I looked around more. Finally reached a place where I believed it was taken care of and was told to "reset password at logon". It was easy to just select button that says "reset password" but it then asked for reset disk - I don't have one so I now can't get into my laptop. I know there is a solution because I believe computers cannot be broken via software - is there someone(s) who can help me, please.

I used to be very good with computers - years ago but at "advanced" age I no longer am able to solve computer puzzles and not as patient to.  Hopefully someone can help this grandmother. Thank you so much

Edited by hamluis, 21 May 2017 - 05:54 PM.
Moved from Backup/Imaging to W10 Spt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 furbalicious

furbalicious

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

I personally have not tested this but seems to work for some.....

https://4sysops.com/archives/reset-a-windows-10-password/

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Did furbalicious's good idea work for you, redroset?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

Is the operating system well enough to open Settings and make changes from there?  If you can I would suggest doing a Reset.  This will reinstall the operating system.  There is the option to save you file, but if this computer is new to you those files won't be missed.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

Settings%20w10_zpshotznunu.png

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

settings%20w10-2_zpslwcrdejs.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

Settings%20w%2010-3_zpsjcoecsv4.png

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

If you have recently installed this operating system you will receive the message below.

Setting%20w10-4_zps9ejgxhyo.png

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 redroset

redroset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

Did furbalicious's good idea work for you, redroset?

Didn't get to try it - daughter's IT expert bf  "could fix problem" and it now is in BSOD. (He actually left town quickly.)  I haven't looked ASUS laptop since then but will this weekend starting with BC experts and suggestions to save my lovely laptop from BSOD. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thanks, Linda (redroset)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

Linda,

Unless there is something on this machine worth saving (and if so, please say so) I would simply download the latest Windows 10 ISO from the Windows 10 Download Page, make bootable media (and instructions for doing that are on the download page), and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

You can simply wipe the slate clean and start over again.  Since this machine already had Windows 10 (and I'm presuming it was activated) a digital entitlement exists on Microsoft's servers so you won't even be asked for a product key to install it again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 redroset

redroset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

Hi Brian, thanks for replying so soon. I haven't missed anything so I'll say there's nothing to save. It's on now and window:

RECOVERY  . . . . . . . needs to be repaired

OS couldn't be loaded bc required file is missing or contains errors

File: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use recovery tools .  . . . . . .

Above is what's on screen now. I cant' get beyond this screen and cannot access settings. I'll go to Window 10 Download Page and load it to a USB. Thanks so much. I will let you know what happens.

Linda

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:36 AM

Hi Brian, thanks for replying so soon. I haven't missed anything so I'll say there's nothing to save. It's on now and window:

RECOVERY  . . . . . . . needs to be repaired

OS couldn't be loaded bc required file is missing or contains errors

File: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use recovery tools .  . . . . . .

Above is what's on screen now. I cant' get beyond this screen and cannot access settings. I'll go to Window 10 Download Page and load it to a USB. Thanks so much. I will let you know what happens.

Linda

If you have access to another computer, then I would suggest that you follow Brian's advice and perform a clean install of Windows 10. You will need to create an installation media like a DVD or a USB stick, but the process is very straight forward. The time that the whole thing takes depends on your internet speed, but expect it to take an hour or two.

We are all here if you have any problems.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 redroset

redroset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

Hello this is Linda, life stepped in for a few months and I haven't touched the ASUS since the wonderful response from New Mexico. I have a USB stick dated 6/24/17 with following on it (don't know what it is):

boot             file folder                          autorun                  Setup information    2-10-17         1 KB

efi                file folder                          boot manager         file                         3-17-17       386 KB

sources        file folder                          bootmgr.efi             EFI file                   3-18-17     1176 KB

support         file folder                          setup                    application              3-17-17        79 KB

Temp            file folder

The laptop is in unknown Win10 sign-on password and BSOD so will the above help? I don't remember downloading the above so don't know what it is. Hope you can help me. Linda, a grandmother

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:07 AM

I’m interested in knowing if you have data you want to save. Unfortunately in the situation the computer is in I don’t know if that’s possible: if it is it would have to be recovered by an expert.

On the USB stick, it’s probably a USB Recovery drive, but please note I mention “probably”.

--- Even if it’s for your laptop and it included the computers system files it’s possible to reinstall Windows.

--- If the computers system files were not included, it cannot be used to reinstall Windows.

With the above said, I believe the recommendations for a fresh install is the best way to go. Brian & Rocky always provide excellent advice.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,839 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

I have also since that time put together a step-by-step set of instructions for Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.

This method also frees you of any "bloatware" that your computer's manufacturer might include in Windows 10 as shipped by them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users