Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron n5040 high pitched noise

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DwightSchrute

DwightSchrute

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

It seems a high pitched noise in a Dell is fairly common. I have read the forum and tried some of the suggestions but none of them worked.

I have a high pitched noise (it sounds like when I use a Dremel to cut a nail or using a dog whistle) coming from the bottom right side of laptop. It is random, sometimes when using it alot and other times I'm not doing anything. It can be a quick noise or a long drawn out whistle.

I ran BIOS and everything checked out, and the noise didn't happen when testing. The noise starts back up when Windows starts up.

I tried the suggestion that deals with the USB power managment, I tried disabling the Speedstep, disabling the BEEP file, it's not affected when speakers are mute or when microphones are turned off, and I don't think this comupter has bluetooth so that option is out.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Anything would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

The noises I've had to track down for clients were sometimes hard to hear and elusive.  Most were tracked to the hard drive, the spinning platter motor and its transfer of vibration to the chassis.  Some were just a point where the hard drive heads were positioned when idle caused a whine.  Others took a reload of the OS (restore) to get the idle point in a different spot on the drive and the noise was gone.

#3 DwightSchrute

DwightSchrute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Hi, thanks for the advice. I ended up reseating the hard drive and the noise has stopped. I am guessing this might be warning signs that the hard drive might be going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users