Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly shutsdown

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ckeph

ckeph

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

For the past few weeks my computer has been randomly shutting down.

Specs:

Computer name: DESKTOP-F9928CJ
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 15063
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: MS-7917, MSI, Z97A GAMING 6 (MS-7917)
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17123102720 bytes total

The crashes are completely unexpected and very random occurring at unpredictable times and don,t come with a BOSD, just a black screen restart. At first i though it could be my CPU overheating so i installed a the corsair h60, this succeeded in decreasing my CPU temperatures but the random shut downs have persisted. Most commonly while playing video games on steam. I have used the windows memory diagnostic tool and it came up clean. I also reset my windows yesterday but the crashed continued after reinstalling my drivers and games. I've had this PC for a year or two now and this has only been happening for a few weeks. If you have any guesses on what the issue could be please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

Did you actually clean your computer's insides? Indeed, it could be overheating.

#3 ckeph

ckeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

im planning on doing a complete dusting of the insides of the pc tomorrow, ill keep it updated

#4 CMFordham

CMFordham

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

You can check if your system is getting hot by using a simple program. I don't think SpeedFan is the most accurate anymore, at least from what I've read and see.  Open Hardware Monitor is a good one to use, and seems relatively accurate to me.  Of course you will get the most accurate reading in your BIOS before you fully boot up.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

http://www.wikihow.com/Monitor-CPU-Temperature

Hope you get some more clarification, but it definitely sounds like an overheating problem.  Could even be as simple as replacing the heat-sink or thermal paste.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files in your next reply.

Also, publish a snapshot with Speccy:

:step1: Speccy by Piriform

• Download and save Speccy from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the ZIP file.
  • Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
  • Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe (or Speccy.exe, if your system is 32-bit), and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
  • Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 ckeph

ckeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

Here are updated Specs using Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N4LULvaIKhhIPsBHMnvAKMD

At idle the PC sits at around 30C and only spikes to around 50C under load (CPU)

i am also going to disable Intel turbo boost.

Edited by ckeph, 20 April 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#7 ckeph

ckeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

I did a stress test on my CPU and the highest temperature reached was 56C after 5 mins. But after running furmark on my GPU my system instantly restarted. I allowed it to cool for a few min and then started furmark again. The GPU reached a max temperature of 65C and after around 5 min my PC restarted, went into repair but ended up finding no problems. My GPU is an msi gtx 960 4GB as noted by Speccy. Im not sure if the heat was the problem, or just that the computer couldn't handle the load. 

Could it be PSU related maybe gold 550w is not enough?

Edited by ckeph, 20 April 2017 - 08:11 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Could be... suggest you try this hardware stripdown.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users