Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox and Chrome downloading themselfs whenever they want!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KOTP

KOTP

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

Hey random PC experts,i am kinda new to this site and i am not sure if these forums are place where i put my solution or i am waiting for others to help me. Anyway I need some help!

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and for some reason Firefox and Chrome are downloading themselfs without my permission! Also when i try to uninstall them only Firefox has folder with it's name and Chrome is in some folder with random name (it changes everytime it downloads) ! So if anyone solved this please answer me

Edited by KOTP, 20 April 2017 - 06:33 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

Nobody will either PM or email you - that I know of  :)   Any and all answers are to be posted in the thread(s)   :)

Now, my first guess is:  your present Firefox and your present Chrome are set to automatically download any and all updates.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

The default state of Firefox (Tools->Options->Advanced Pane->Update Tab) is "Automatically Install Updates" and Chrome is set up the same way and without any direct way to disable it (and for good reason).

Web browsers should always be updated to their latest versions as a great many improvements in security go along with that and older versions stop getting any updates, including security updates, after some period of time.  Right now Firefox is about to roll out version 53 which drops support for Windows XP and Vista and anyone remaining on version 52, even if they're on the ESR (extended service release) version of 52, will only continue receiving security updates for a few months.

Auto update is not the default for no reason.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 KOTP

KOTP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

I forgot to say,I am not useing nither firefox or chrome, i am using opera.Don't know is this changing something. :/ 

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

I forgot to say,I am not useing nither firefox or chrome, i am using opera.Don't know is this changing something. :/ 

That changes the situation, I have no idea why when using Opera, Firefox and Chrome begin downloading.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

That changes the situation, I have no idea why when using Opera, Firefox and Chrome begin downloading.

That does change things.   You can either chase down what processes are doing this via task manager and then take a look at startup processes and scheduled tasks or try asking this, with pertinent details included, on the "Am I infected?  What Should I Do?" forum.

I have never seen either Firefox or Chrome download itself unless it is installed on that machine and, in addition, being used regularly so that detection of new versions occurs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 achzone

achzone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

This sounds like rogue installations of Firefox and Chrome to me as that's not normal behavior by either browser..  

Have you scanned your entire system with your Antivirus and Malwarebytes for malware and rootkits?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users