Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rewind22

Rewind22

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

Split From https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619766/shrill-inconsistent-buzzing-in-desktop - Hamluis.

I've got the same/similar issue driving me crazy! I think I've isolated it to a Seagate 2TB hdd I installed a year ago. System is on a separate 1TB hdd so I unhooked the 2TB hdd and no sound but the mount hardware and all seem very tight so I can't figure it out. It's like a resonance frequency sets up randomly, whether it's under load or just idling. Goes from faint buzzing sound like a piece of stretched cellophane w/a strong airflow across it, starting barely audible to a definitely irritating volume that can't be ignored. I've run SeaTools tests w/no issues found. Banging on the side of the Dell case sometimes lowers or stops it for a while so it's got to be something to do w/the mount.

I did figure out an interesting way to isolate the origin of the sound which is an old school method used be mechanics to isolate the origin of engine noises. I'ts a bit risky to use in a PC but I was desperate. Using a med/long screwdriver (old hard plastic handle type) w/the handle part pressed to your ear, very carefully touch the blade end to suspected areas of the case (never any part of or onto a circuit board!!!) outside first, then if your brave w/steady hands inside parts of the case and it will definitely get distinctly louder when you touch it to the source of the noise. Good Luck.

Edited by hamluis, 19 April 2017 - 11:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

I've suggested that technique for years, but I suggest using a plastic or long handle spoon.  You should touch the metal of the case before doing anything inside the case to discharge any static electricity in you body.  It only takes about 10V to kill integrated circuits like RAM modules.  You body can generate static discharges over 2000V.

Did the noise stop when you disconnected the 2TB hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users