Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1,175 hotels listed in payment card breach of Holiday Inn parent company

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

You may recall commercials for Holiday Inn Express that revolved around a “Stay smart” theme, but if you stayed in Holiday Inn Express, or other InterContinental Hotels Group-branded franchise hotel late last year, then you would be really smart if you keep an eye out for unexpected charges on your credit card.

IHG finally reported the findings from an investigation into a breach of the company’s payment systems. The company has over 5,000 hotels across 100 counties, with brands such as Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Resort, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, InterContinental, Kimpton, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites. Hackers managed to get malware into the front desk payment system at some IHG-branded franchise hotels in the United States and Puerto Rico and made off with payment card data.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

What amazes me is not that this kind of breach occurs, because breaches of its kind have been common for years now, but that there are people who do not review their own credit card statements even in the most cursory way.

It seems that the credit card companies, who generally foot the bill for fraud (at least directly, while indirectly recouping it over time), have figured this out because they will, more often than not, identify a fraudulent charge long before a statement is ever generated.  Somehow, and we've never figured out how since the cards have never left his hands other than when used, my partner's credit cards have been repeatedly compromised.  To a one we've gotten phone calls moments after the first fraudulent charge directly inquiring whether it was made by the card owner or not, usually with the card frozen from further transactions until that communication between company and cardholder has occurred.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

Okay, I have to ask, because I've read about similar stories a couple of times now:

Why do people even pay with credit cards? In my country such cards have really become mainstream these past couple of years and you can too, like in the USA & Canada, see people getting paid their salaries in cash relatively rarely. However, I don't understand why do people pay everything with them, such as hotel stays as suggested by the article for example, and not just draw money about once a week from an ATM and then using the cash? Is such thing only possible with debit cards and not by credit cards? I recently opened my first bank account at Societe Generale and they gave me a debit card. What I do is to draw the cash from one of their ATMs (for no fee) once a week and then use the cash. I understand that in America it's more complicated, because people want to use their credit and not debit cards more frequently, since they want to have a good credit score - they want to establish a trustworthy relationship with their bank and hopefully further down the line to leverage that trust in order to get a lower interest on a bigger loan, such as a mortgage. However, I don't get, wouldn't your bottom line be worse off even if you manage to get a mortgage at favourable rates, because you paid so many years monthly interest on your credit card bills beforehand and also all those transaction fees for every single purchase? To put it mathematically:
Future discount with good credit score on a mortgage < Credit card interest bills & transaction costs throughout your history in establishing your good credit score, no?
I am sorry if this strays away from the original topic or if it's a potentially silly question. Nobody in my family's history has ever taken out a loan, so I am not all that familiar with the subject. I just think that carrying a debit card and only using it to draw relatively small sums of cash from a bank-owned ATM is both the cheapest and the safest way to operate with your operative funds.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 19 April 2017 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users