Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Creator update woes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lithorn

Lithorn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Don't do what I did. Casually updated windows, new thing "Creators update" woo. Nothing special. Cleaned up the PC, also removing the .old folder. (Big mistake). I should have known better. Now after I updated and finally restarted (I tend to leave it running), I am stuck in a forever looped loading screen. Not your typical loading loop no. The computer posts, you see the windows logo and it dissapears. You hear the start sound and expect to see your login page. Nope, right back to the windows loading logo which stays there forever. So far the only solution is to reinstall everything.

If anyone else has updated, do not remove your .old. You may come into issues like I did.

If others have had this issue had found a fix without reinstalling, please let me know.

Windows seems to be running fine in the background behind the loading logo screen. You even see your mouse moving. You can hear sticky keys going insane pressing shift, but that's about all you can do.

Edited by Lithorn, 19 April 2017 - 09:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

Content has been deleted. 
It makes no sense to fight windmills. Always appears some kind omniscient.

Edited by zainmax, 19 April 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#3 Lithorn

Lithorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

Safe mode with networking works but can't do any repairs without erasing the main drive

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

If you can get into Safe Mode you had ought to be able to do a "Reset this PC" using the "Keep My Files" option.

I will also note that one should not remove the Windows.old file, as that will be removed on its own once you have gone the number of days that is the limit for rolling back to your prior version of Windows.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Lithorn

Lithorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:27 AM

Reset failed, and reinstalling failed without wiping the drive to nothing. Something about EFI.

When clicking on the system tab in the settings menu (For updates, and such) it flashes then closes.

SFC scanned and found no issues.. Gona just have to bite it and reinstall, update and avoid creators.

Edited by Lithorn, 19 April 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Disable Auto Restart on System Failure. This may give you a better idea on what is causing the restart.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

#7 Lithorn

Lithorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

its not restarting, the loading logo has replaced the start screen

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

See if you can access the Advanced Boot Options using the following method.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#9 Lithorn

Lithorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

I have tried that. My only choice is to reinstall, and I can only do that via using another computer to download the media package as you cannot do it in safemode even with networking enabled. This isnt common but has happened to a few other people.. I will not update any more big features after this

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

I will not update any more big features after this

I am not sure that is possible. Windows 10 has mandatory upgrades and they can only be delayed. Microsoft has already stated they will no longer be supporting the original build with Security Updates.

One thing you can do is once your system is up and running with all updates is to create a complete disk image to an external hard drive. This would allow you to recover should things go bad on an upgrade.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

I hate to tell you, but unless you have an Enterprise class version of Windows 10 you do not have any choice about upgrading.

You really should not use a single incident like this as a metric regarding what these upgrades are like when they go normally.  Keeping regular backups, including full system images, should be something that every computer user is doing.  Then you can recover to your pre-disaster state easily and see if a subsequent update works correctly.  If/when one recovers in this way running an SFC/DISM pair on the recovered system is very wise.  Also, disconnecting all external devices, including keyboards and mice when they're attached to a laptop rather than a desktop, is a good idea before allowing a major update to apply.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

@britechguy,

Also, disconnecting all external devices, including keyboards and mice when they're attached to a laptop rather than a desktop, is a good idea before allowing a major update to apply.

Why disconnect mouse? I understand external drives, cameras, external keyboards, but the mouse suggestion puzzles me.

Edited by tos226, 20 April 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

Read the threads about the Creators Update sticking at 32%.

It stopped happening when the USB mouse was removed.  It puzzles me, too, but when something this simple has been shown to prevent certain hangups why not just do it for the duration of a major update applying?

~ Mark Twain

#14 Lithorn

Lithorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

The issue was that the Creators update had remade my Local account and during its attempt something happened. The account that had permissions on everything was named "UnknownAccount", and my new one had my old ones name but did not inherit any permissions and had no access to write anything anywhere. This in turn prevented any ability to write data to any of my drives.. I don't know if this had anything to do with hearing windows load to the login page but only seeing the loading screen. In the end I was forced to find the latest install of Windows 10, v1703? Can't recall, and doing a complete wipe and reinstall. Lost a lot of data since I couldnt backup my bookmarks, and the so called sync from firefox (Despite being set to save everything) only recovered my login information. Oh well. Live and learn.

#15 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

A suggestion.

Get Macrium Reflect free or paid & make full system images to use in case of foul ups.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

You can restore from Windows 10 to former versions easily.

Etc.

Use PE 10 boot time recovery option.

Very simple.

I use it (paid version).

Works good. :)

edit--- It even has an option to restore to new hardware. Meaning a new computer or mother board.

Edited by medab1, 21 April 2017 - 04:54 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users