Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird safety

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

Hi,

I use Tbird as  I find its ability to handle several accounts very handy;  keeping its Profile on a separate drive from C:

If an online hacker got into my system, can they then gain access to my stored mails or  the  passwords for the servers like Gmail etc?

Is there anything I  can do to protect Tbirds files ?

If I Encrypted or Vaulted  the Profile does that include all the passwords or are some held in the program files ?

Have read about MasterPassword+ but think thats more to stop actual users on the keyboard gaining access...?

thanks

Edited by hamluis, 19 April 2017 - 06:58 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,033 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

Hi,

For the passwords part https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Basics/Protect-your-Thunderbird-passwords-with-a-Master-Password/ta-p/14829

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:35 AM

Just to be sure I understand, you do use option --ProfileManager to launch ThunderBird and then select your profile that is on drive X: ?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

Just to be sure I understand, you do use option --ProfileManager to launch ThunderBird and then select your profile that is on drive X: ?

I have modified the profile.ini  so it automatically goes to my drive D for the Profile.

Have followed the link Sleepydude mentions, which shows how to use a Master Password for all the account passwords, so job done , thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users