Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creator or Moron ???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alter501

alter501

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:57 AM

My new Lenovo i5 just did a long update, with much fanfare, etc, lauding about how wonderful it was all going to be ..

Anyway, took hours to download and complete, so when it did, I eagerly opened it to marvel and enjoy !

Ughhhh .. what's this ? All my icons are very small .. can hardly read the titles .. similarly with all menus and web pages, etc.

Hmm, OK, go to Display settings .. I recall stuff there where you change the size and boldness of text in laels, menus, etc.

Ahh .. but there's a new feature .. custom scaling .. and it looks like it's set to 150. Ok, I'll set it to 175 and see what happens. At which point EVERYTHING gets bigger .. web pages, spread sheets, documents, desktop icons ans their labels ... EVERYTHING !!!

But THAT'S NOT what I wanted - I just wanted the titles and text in labels, menus, etc, to be bigger .. I DIDN'T WANT massive web pages that don't fit on my screen now, or spreadsheets where I now have to go and re-size EVERY column .. EVERY spreadsheet.

What CREATOR genius thought this up ??

I know, I will just put it back to 150, and find the thing where you can in fact re-size and bolden labels, menus, etc.

But the thing is .. I CAN'T find it. My machine is now bereft of it .. unless they've gone and hidden it in some obscure place .. which I don't think they have. 'cause I've looked and looked ...

So I've spent two days resizing everything, but still I've ended up with some spastic, totally unsatisfactory result ..

What creative genius at Microsoft determined that we all have 'one scale fits all' sizing in our eyes ??

Genius ? Moron more like it !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:27 AM

Click on 'Notifications' (bottom right hand corner of screen) and select 'All Settings"

Then "Update and Security"....then 'Recovery' from the column on the left hand side.

"Reset This PC"....If your pc isnt running well resetting it may help. This lets you keep your personal files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows"

That is probably the most straightforward way....a little time consuming.....but should have a positive result.

""Creative genius at msft""........there is one there...?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:30 AM

Dude, 99% of the whole tech industry has been competing who can make the most bloated products for decades. Simplicity is basically dead. Maybe it will resurface after the next tech-stock bubble.
I personally think the last great product Microsoft had was Windows 7.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Given that I work with individuals who are blind (where this is a moot point) and visually-impaired (where it is not) I have been appalled by the removal of the advanced display settings that allowed you to tweak things like icon text, menu text, icon size and spacing, and the list goes on and on.

If you want this stuff back I believe you'll find what you're looking for in Winaero Tweaker, which does carry over into Windows 10.

Virtually all of the properties you mention can be tweaked via registry edits, but I absolutely hate going that route when there exists an excellent third-party desktop application that does the job reliably and that allows you to experiment easily.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Whatever happened to that magnifying glass app in Windows XP? I remember it was located in the Start menu in Accessories and then in another sub-folder, of which I can't remember the name. It was pretty neat, I think, for people with bad vision. It opened up a box on your foreground, which could be tweaked to whatever size you want it to be just like a regular folder, and it followed your mouse cursor, displaying a magnified view of whichever place you pointed the cursor at. I recall it was a pretty simple, yet effective program - It only had a couple of options, such as scale of magnification and whether you want it to run when Windows XP starts. My friends and I were searching for photos of naked girls online and using it to zoom in on their nipples without significant pixel-loss, giggling all the time - we were about 11 or 12 at the time, so I can imagine that fully grown people with bad sight had much greater use of it than we did. Is this program still present in Windows 10?:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 19 April 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#6 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Click on 'Notifications' (bottom right hand corner of screen) and select 'All Settings"

Then "Update and Security"....then 'Recovery' from the column on the left hand side.

"Reset This PC"....If your pc isnt running well resetting it may help. This lets you keep your personal files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows"

That is probably the most straightforward way....a little time consuming.....but should have a positive result.

It would seem in light of britechuy's post, above, the issue won't be fixed by a reset, as it is design rather than fault.

But thanks for trying to help.

PS, I wholly agree with your sig lines ...

fed up with Windows antics...?? LINUX IS THE ANSWER I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

... I have a Linux Mint desktop (no dual boot) which I use extensively, and must say, it is the best  computering thing I've ever done - best computer experience ever ... and I'm but a computer dummy.

I consider this windows 10 joke, a necessary evil.

Edited by alter501, 19 April 2017 - 05:26 PM.

#7 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

Dude, 99% of the whole tech industry has been competing who can make the most bloated products for decades. Simplicity is basically dead. Maybe it will resurface after the next tech-stock bubble.
I personally think the last great product Microsoft had was Windows 7.

Agree entirely on all issues.

W7 is great. I will keep my W7 laptop going for as long as possible.

#8 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

Given that I work with individuals who are blind (where this is a moot point) and visually-impaired (where it is not) I have been appalled by the removal of the advanced display settings that allowed you to tweak things like icon text, menu text, icon size and spacing, and the list goes on and on.

If you want this stuff back I believe you'll find what you're looking for in Winaero Tweaker, which does carry over into Windows 10.

Virtually all of the properties you mention can be tweaked via registry edits, but I absolutely hate going that route when there exists an excellent third-party desktop application that does the job reliably and that allows you to experiment easily.

Thanks.

So this is confirmation that it has been deliberately removed. Makes you wonder .. what was their reasoning behind this ?

Did they not realize that of their billions of users, some would be visually challenged ?

Do they not realize that for a busy person to be forced to struggle 2 - 3 days with this bleep, is abomination to him ?

Worlds most useful tool .. my arse .. it seems the worlds most useful tool is us - to Microsoft.

Thank you for the link.

I have what I think is a similar thing on Firefox browser (noSquint) but that only works on the browser page content. If yours works on everything, that would be great. Will check it out.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,483 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

Winaero Tweaker works at the operating system level, so it carries over into all OS windows and installed applications (I can't say whether it will carry over into universal apps or not, but I doubt it).

Things change and nothing is so constant in the computing industries as change.  I have hated the entire trend toward "the flat look" in GUIs and am actually almost enraged when I hear those all atwitter about it calling it "fresh and new."   It is, without doubt, an ergonomic step backward in terms of what is required visually to interpret many elements on the screen.  Win Aero was far, far better.   Just the fact that the controls for minimize, maximize, and close no longer have the distinct button look and are not opaque, particularly the close button, is just plain stupid.  The habit of saying, "Click on the red x at the upper right corner," was a clear directive for decades, but no more.

None of this is limited to Microsoft.  Apple has done it and so have various flavors of Linux as well. Android keeps doing this on steriods.  It seems that the endless quest for novelty does not leave anything that's already perfect, or very nearly so, as it is.  There is something to say even for the imperfect if it's a very well understood and longstanding imperfect.  There's nothing more handy than being able to rely on one's years-long base of embedded knowledge and, up until Windows 8, Microsoft was pretty assiduous about maintaining backward compatibility.

I have to say, though, that Windows 10 is, in my opinion, the best Windows ever when taken as a whole.  It has very effectively married all that we loved from Windows 7 and earlier with the best of the newer features of Windows 8 (and other trends) and comes out a winner.  There's always a learning curve and there's always a "you win some, you lose some" when it comes to major OS rewrites.  A lot of the things I cling to and mourn are utterly useless to millions of other Windows users.  Certain calls have to be made, and I'm not always going to be on the "right side of a call."

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

Just the fact that the controls for minimize, maximize, and close no longer have the distinct button look and are not opaque, particularly the close button, is just plain stupid.  The habit of saying, "Click on the red x at the upper right corner," was a clear directive for decades, but no more.

You know what my personal opinion is as to what they should have done that would've pleased everybody - to make it as it is in Windows 10, but to make the font, just the font, not its background, red. That way they presumably get their desired 'flat looks' and the habitual continuation with the design of these buttons retains its core, I think.:)

Edit: I mean to make the font of the 'X' button red, not all 3 of them, just to be clear.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 19 April 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#11 alter501

alter501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hi britechguy, just to let you know, I installed the tweaker, and it works really well. Certainly does get back everything MS removed under advanced display settings. Got a whole lot of other stuff too, which I'll explore when I have time.

Thanks.

A tip for anyone else intending to use it; disable others first, such as noSquint, and reset the W10 scaling factor to default. Otherwise you can end up with a real mess .. I know ..

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,483 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

alter501,

Thanks for the warnings, as they're critically important.

I never used any of the scaling factors above 100% nor magnification features, but these should definitely be off before tweaking the things that WinAero Tweaker tweaks.  You can, though, try them again afterward once the tweaks have been made, but probably won't need to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users