Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 non-responsive, hanging, need to hit reset button

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Arphahat

Arphahat

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

Originally posted this is the "Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support" part of the forum, but wasn't sure if it belonged there or here. I can delete either one, please let me know.

So, on my Windows 10, 64 bit computer, it seems that frequently, my computer becomes stuck in a strange, non-functioning mode. Some apps behave fine if they are already open, but opening new apps seems to not work (but sometimes eventually start after minutes). Notably, the windows menu will still open, but selecting shutdown or reset will seem like it is going to work, closing the windows menu, but then does nothing.

I have updated to the latest Windows version. I have Panda Antivirus and Malwarebytes and neither find problems. Trying to resolve this, I've also updated my AMD graphics driver, but it still seems there is an issue.

There are some issues in my event viewer, but I am unsure what to make of them or if any of these could be part of the problem:
Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188
The print spooler failed to regenerate the printer driver information for driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer for environment Windows x64. Win32 system error code 1797 (0x705). This can occur after an operating system upgrade or because of data loss on the hard drive.
Installing printer driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer failed, error code 0x0, HRESULT 0x80070705. See the event user data for context information.
The MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS service terminated with the following service-specific error: 
WARNING: You have until MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS to logoff. If you have not logged off at this time, your session will be disconnected, and any open files or devices you have open may lose data.
The log scan number (524:272:1) passed to log scan in database 'master' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup. 
The NetTcpActivator service depends on the NetTcpPortSharing service which failed to start because of the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error: The request is not supported.
App Container profile failed with error 0x800700B7 because it was unable to register the AppContainer SID.
Windows cannot load the extensible counter DLL MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the Windows error code.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:40 AM

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

Posted Image

#3 Arphahat

Arphahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

Thanks, I will try this one I get home later. Though, I am pretty sure now that all of my issues started with the new "creators update" that was installed with me realizing it. I was planning on trying to roll it back. Should I try the clean boot first, or just roll it back?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

Try clean boot first.

Posted Image

#5 Arphahat

Arphahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

Ok, I have tried the clean boot. I'm not seeing the problem yet, but I don't have a reliable way to make it happen, so it is hard to say for sure. I may just leave it on and have it process some video until after work is done.

#6 Arphahat

Arphahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

Ok, it seems like the clean boot is a success. Where do we go from here?

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

You need to find out which startup service or program you have disabled causing the issue. To do that you need to enable few services and startup programs and restart your computer you will do this till issue comes back then you will know one or more last few enabled startup items causing the issue. You will one at time disable last enabled startup items and each time you have disabled a startup item restart your computer to find out if problem resolves if it does then you have found the cause of the problem its the last disabled startup item causing the problem.

Posted Image

#8 Arphahat

Arphahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for your help. I've been messing with this over the past couple days and am still running into the problem. I'm running out of services to disable and some of these seem like they are essential. Maybe you have some insight?

The services that are not Microsoft services that are in the Running state are:
  • DbxSvc from Dropbox
  • Panda Protection Service
  • Panda Devices Agent
  • Plex Update Service
  • Panda Product Service
  • Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service
  • Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service
  • Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service
  • Steam Client Service
  • WD Backup 
  • WD Drive Manager
  • WinTab Service
I can keep disabling one at a time, but some of these things I still want running. Any thoughts?

Edit: it seems to be happening about after an hour of being on. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. I've also tried rolling back the creators update to windows and it hasn't helped.

Edited by Arphahat, 21 April 2017 - 12:23 AM.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:21 AM

Please one at time disable those services you have listed you can enable the once that are not causing the issue.

Posted Image

#10 Arphahat

Arphahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

I'll continue disabling them. Since it is an hour between failures, would doing several at a time be more effective? Group like services together, like the spybot ones? Or, is going one at a time the best way still?

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

It up to you, you can do them in groups if you like.

Posted Image

#12 Arphahat

Arphahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

So, I've disabled all except the Panda anti virus and it was still happening, then decided to leave it running, but unplug my network cable. It seems that without being plugged into the network, I am running without issue. Any ideas on what this means?

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

Visit your computer manufacturer website to download latest version of network card driver.

Posted Image

#14 Arphahat

Arphahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

There were no new versions of the network card driver. Thinking it might be that network adapter on my motherboard, I installed a network card, but see the same problem when it is used. Disabling or unplugging from the network adapter gives stable performance. What else can I try here?

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

Uninstall and reinstall network card driver also try previous version of the network card driver.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users