Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best chances for data recovery?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Hey guys, for HDD's which are not any longer being recognized in windows whether internal or external, what is the best option an owner or tech can try to recover the data please? Aside from a lab.

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2017 - 08:25 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

Sometimes a drive not detected in Windows can be detected in linux but that is if the drive is still detected in Disk Management. If you boot linux, open a terminal, type fdisk -l, and the drive is not detected then a professional data recovery service needs to be consulted.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

Ok but what I am trying to find out is if there is any software option they use for this or only hardware?

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

Some Programs i Prefer are -  Recuva { Free Version } https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Or Puran File Recovery or others here : https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893

BUT ! None of these will work if the drive is not accessible or dead.

Sometimes if it is a Stuck Arm / Clicking Drive ...you can , but i advise not to , depending on the Drives Data Importance - 

I have removed the cover and homed the Arm and have retrieved some Data - not all 70-80 % { Can Be Hit And Miss }.

Or replaced the PCB on the Drive with an exact Type if that was the issue and retrieved 100%.

Once you open the Drive or do not know what you are doing , or keep trying different Methods your chances Drop dramatically to eventually zero.

If a Data Recovery Centre retrieves from the Drive it is within a Clean Enviroment / Disassembled / Platters Scanned / or they have Spare Drives / PCB etc to assist in retrieval , as proffesionals success rate is high , costs can be anywhere between $1000 - $2000.

So if your Data is Vital or of High Importance - then use a proffesional to do so.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

Right, that what I figured so there is NO software which can retrieve info from a drive not being rocognized either in windows or linux, is this correct please?

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:57 AM

Also guys, would it make sense to try any software in windows with an attached defective drive if the drive isn't being recognized in linux?

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

Right, that what I figured so there is NO software which can retrieve info from a drive not being rocognized either in windows or linux, is this correct please?

Some programs can also be hit and miss / in the way they scan.

You can check this other Post for similar issue https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/644278/trying-to-get-data-off-of-a-sata-drive/

1/ Does the Drive Spin Up ?

2/ Is the Cabling used working ? { Other Drives connected work ok }

3/ Does the Drive Click ?

As Usual , as i say , Backups to external drives are you best friends....

Also guys, would it make sense to try any software in windows with an attached defective drive if the drive isn't being recognized in linux?

You can try anything till the Cows come Home - if its dead ? Its Dead.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

The question I would like to confirm is would the linux be the last hope and once the linux doesn't show the attached drive then only option would be to send to a lab?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

Yes, that is correct. If not recognized by linux or Windows you will need a professional recovery service with a clean room.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Ok, which one is the last option or more important, a windows recovery software or being able to see the drive in linux?

If in linux is there any software which  can be used in linux which might help or it is that once you load linux and the drive and contents doesn;t show then that's it?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

Testdisk is available for both Windows and Linux. Same as PhotoRec. I am not sure if Testdisk for linux is different in regards to how well it recovers data vs Windows.

Linux also has ddrescue which has a high learning curve. It can create an image from a failing hard drive which can then be used by testdisk or photorec. It has the ability to read sectors R number of times. Check this guide. There is a GUI front end for ddrescue called ddrescueGUI.

Windows has paid versions Minitools and Easeus data recovery which will scan the entire drive. Rucuva is a free version. Minitools Partition Wizard has a recovery wizard if the partition table is missing which is similar to what Testdisk does.

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for all of the info guys. So I connected this external and in Parted Magic when I  click on the sda1, sdb1 or Music 1TB, it shows the error message, anything I can try please?

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/20170419_112810_zpsxhvepvhv.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/20170419_112815_zpsgptgy1zw.jpg

Edited by mystic12, 19 April 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Looks like a corrupted filesystem. I would post those screenshots in the BC linux forum for more info.

The linux forum should be able to see something from the dmesg | tail command.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 April 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

** I just now remembered neither Linux or Windows sees the HD, I guess the below is moot. **

Do you have usb or dvd boots with any kind of backup/restore/clone utility?

If yes, this might be doable just before you try any other DIY operations.

-- if possible, make a one-pass DIY clone onto an external HD; or
-- if possible, make a one-pass DIY full image of the hard-drive onto any affordable and reliable external media
Making a DIY one-pass clone or full image means:
-- the process reads or tries to read each sector only once, there is no re-reading, re-trying any sector
-- the process is started and run, without interruption, to completion
-- when the process "says" it is finished, it is finished and the 2ndCopy HD is put away for safe-keeping
-- if the process interrupts itself at any time or point, the process is finished, the 2ndCopy HD is put away

Edited by RolandJS, 20 April 2017 - 09:58 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

mystic12, after reReading this thread, I realize now my number 14 post is totally unworkable.

How is that hard-drive coming along?  Is it still dead, "un-see-able" and un-readable by any usb or dvd boot utility?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users