Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to connect a VM from one computer to a server on another computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrobe29131

jrobe29131

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and am learning how to use virtual machines and windows server. So right now here's my situation.

On my desktop PC named "I5" I have windows server 2012 R2 running in VMware workstation player. Server 2012 has a domain set up and also on I5 I have a windows 7 Professional client VM successfully connected to it. My OS for I5 is windows 10 home.

I have another desktop called "oldcomp" connected to the same router as I5. I have a windows 7 Professional VM workstation running on oldcomp that I want to connect to the domain on windows server running in VMware on I5. The OS on oldcomp is also windows 10 home. Can someone here please explain how I should do this and if there's any info you need from me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Maybe I am not fully understanding or the issue it out of my league (no substantive experience with any version of Windows Server), but I would assume that if the Server 2012 VM is actively running on the "I5" PC & setup properly and the VMs networking is setup properly (i.e. the server sees and can fully access the local network), then it should show up as a server on the network to both host OSs and the Win 7 guest OS (that is actively running with proper VM networking setup) on the "oldcomp" just as if it was a physical server on the network. In other words, I don't believe there is anything special that is needed...but again I could be not fully understanding and/or out of my league.

[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

Safe "Interneting" Tips

#3 jrobe29131

jrobe29131
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

When looking at the network from the VM's on I5, neither oldcomp nor it's WINDOWS 7 VM show up. From the VM on oldcomp, I5 and its VMs don't show up. 

Each VM is set to NAT under network adapter, except for the server VM. It's set to a virtual network.

Edited by jrobe29131, 19 April 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,789 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

When looking at the network from the VM's on I5, neither oldcomp nor it's WINDOWS 7 VM show up. From the VM on oldcomp, I5 and its VMs don't show up. 
Each VM is set to NAT under network adapter, except for the server VM. It's set to a virtual network.

When looking at the network from either computer using the HOST OS (i.e. Windows 10), does the other computer show up? Do the VM "computers" show up?

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

Safe "Interneting" Tips

#5 jrobe29131

jrobe29131
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

When looking at the network from either computer using the HOST OS (i.e. Windows 10), does the other computer show up? Do the VM "computers" show up?

From the HOST OS on both computers, the other computer shows up, but the VM's on the other computer don't. 

Both HOST OS's are part of a workgroup. The two VM's on I5 are part of a domain. 

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,789 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

We have exhausted the "low hanging fruit" that I can think of. Now, it is likely something related to running domains in Windows (which I have zero experience with) potentially in combination with quirks of networking through a VM (which I also likely cannot help with as I have no direct experience with VMWare Player...only Parallels Desktop on a Mac). So, I likely will not be any further help.

Best I can suggest is to maybe temporarily switch to just a workgroup on the "oldcomputer" VM and use the same workgroup as the host OSs on both computers and then see if the guest OS on the "oldcomputer" can "see" the two host OSs on the network. This would at least help determine if there is some VM networking related issue that might be to blame.

Edited by smax013, 22 April 2017 - 02:00 PM.

Safe "Interneting" Tips

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,007 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

Because you are using NAT in VMware for the VMs, they are unable to communicate with the VMs located on the other machine. If you can't ping a VM by computer name or it's IP address, then NAT is preventing the connection.

You would likely need to set the VMs to all use a bridged connection, as this would directly connect them to the LAN. Then make sure the VMs and computers are all on the same IP address space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users