Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To 5GHz Band

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 artyboy

artyboy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

Not-so-recently, I bought a dual-band router, almost entirely for that sweet, sweet 5GHz wifi band that my newly built computer could rest on.

I don't remember the exact date I did that, but it was many months ago now. Up until last Friday I was using the 5GHz band, and everything was going a-okay. But then since last Friday, my beloved 5GHz isn't working properly.

ROUTER: Belkin N600 Wireless N+ Router / Model: F9K1102V2

WIRELESS ADAPTER: (tbh theres a lot of writing on here and i dont see exactly where the product name and everything is but here goes) ASUS Dual-Band Wireless USB Adapter / Model: USB-N53

What EXACTLY happens, is: My computer sees the 5GHz band. I'm currently connected to the 2.4GHz band. I click on "blahblah.media", and I click Connect. It then says "Checking Network Requirements..." and after maybe 10-ish seconds, the text disappears and the Cancel button greys out, but I'm still unconnected (the loading dots keep moving). Normally I let it go until it says "Can't Connect To This Network", but when I was timing it and testing it just now, it didn't stop for a good 2 minutes and 44 seconds which is WAY longer than it normally takes. It probably averages like 40 seconds.

If you need any more information, I'm happy to provide.

Edited by artyboy, 18 April 2017 - 05:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

The first thought of the top of my head, which might not be worth much...was there an update to the wireless adapter driver that was installed last Friday, maybe through Windows Update? To check this, you could try removing the currently installed driver and reinstalling from the disc that came with the adapter and see if that fixes the issue.

The next thought is the "dumb" question of...did you reboot the router? Likely won't help, but still a good thing to try if you have not already done so.

Last thought/question...do you have any other devices that connect by 5 GHz and if so, are they working? Maybe the router has "flaked"...I admit not likely, but you never know. If you have other 5 GHz devices that connect and work fine, then this kind rules out the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users