Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2016 keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:39 PM

My outlook 2016 keeps freezing especially when I try to do searches.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

anyone?

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

How large is your PST file? Have you tried doing a repair of the PST file?

See this page if you do not know how:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-64842a0a-658a-4324-acc6-ef0a6e3567cd

#4 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Thank you Smax I appreciate it.  I did scan the pst files and it said it found a few minor things to repair.  I will test it out and see if its any better.  Microsoft created these pst files for me when I let them on my computer and things got worse.  I have 4 pst files and their sizes are 4/37MB, 2.43 MB, 8.25 MB and 3/64 MB.  Is this alot?

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Thank you Smax I appreciate it.  I did scan the pst files and it said it found a few minor things to repair.  I will test it out and see if its any better.  Microsoft created these pst files for me when I let them on my computer and things got worse.  I have 4 pst files and their sizes are 4/37MB, 2.43 MB, 8.25 MB and 3/64 MB.  Is this alot?

I honestly don't recall. It has been forever since I used Outlook as an email client, so I don't recall how big my PST file was. It also will depend on the type of messages (i.e. are they large messages or lots of small messages). Typically, from what I recall, PST files get more flaky with large number of message, not necessarily large size.

#6 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hi Guys,

I am still having this issue with my outlook freezing in the middle of my work and re starting on me.  All of my emails are IMAP so I dont think my PST file is the problem. Anyon have any advice?

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

Have you tried the old fashioned approach of uninstalling Outlook and then reinstalling it? Since your account(s) seem to be IMAP, you should not need to backup your Outlook database unless you are also using the calendar, contacts, or other functions...or have created some local only email folders. If so, then you will want to backup the main/default Outlook PST (each IMAP account will have its own PST file SEPARATE from the default Outlook PST unless something has changed since I last used Outlook a number of years ago). The main/default Outlook PST (which is required) stores all local only stuff which typically will at least have things like local calendars and contacts, but also any local only email folder and any POP email accounts.

#8 steventaylor86

steventaylor86

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

I also happened with me. I just used to clear all deleted items permanently from trash and it worked. People often forget to delete unnecessary emails from delete folder which can cause issue. Its just a simple trick, you can try. 

Cheers

Steven

#9 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

I also happened with me. I just used to clear all deleted items permanently from trash and it worked. People often forget to delete unnecessary emails from delete folder which can cause issue. Its just a simple trick, you can try. 

Cheers

Steven

I tried that.  Unfortunately it didnt work for me. Now my outlook is not freezing but I cannot search for anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users