Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude D630 pixelated screen on start-up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

I'm at my library right now. My desktop broke down and I've been using my laptop as backup. But now I remember why I only use it when I have to:

At any random time, the screen will become heavily pixelated. Even if I have a desktop monitor connected to it as an external display (like what I have now), even the desktop monitor will still dispaly heavily pixelated garbage.

Sometimes, I can reboot the system (which, since I can't see what I'm doing, will usually involve taking out the batter and unplugging the AC adapter), that can solve the problem, temporarily. However, it's getting to the point where it's pixelated as I turn it on!

Here's an image that vaguely (though not completely) resembles my problem:

http://www.kuhnline.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dell-video-problem-300x225.jpg

Now here's the thing: I remember, in summer of 2016, taking the laptop to a local computer shop. This shop shut down in December 2016, so I can't ask this guy what he did. But I remember him pressing some keys on start-up and it rebooted with a legible display. Basically, what he must have done is go into the BIOS and rooted around there on pure memory to get it to switch video processors or something like that.

What's more? He seemed to know exactly what to do! I turned on the laptop and showed him the pixelated start-up screen, and he was just like "Aw, okay," and he started pressing buttons, and in approximately 30 seconds, the screen was back to normal!

So, there's definitely a quick fix, even if it's only a temporary one. I don't have to keep turning the laptop on and off constantly for an hour until I get lucky and get it to appear legible.

The question is ... how do I do it? What buttons do I press, in the right order, to get the laptop to switch displays?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

Ok, new development. I went and found some youtube videos that vaguely reminded me of what he did. This one seems to be what he did:

I remember him mentioning something about switching between dock and onboard videos.

So the question is ... once I press F12 and am taken to System Setup, what combination and pattern of Enter, Down, and Esc should I press in order to switch to the onboard display?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users