Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD burn error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sound-doc

sound-doc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

An XP Pro computer used at my church for recording (only) has a history of CD burn error messages. In the past, we would replace the CD burner and the problem would go away for a few weeks to a few months. We're now using what the system identifies as a Lite-On LH20A1L DVD reader/writer (but I'm not sure that's correct, since it also says the drive is a SCSI model, when in fact I think it's an ATAPI IDE unit. The problem has just come up again, and I decided maybe it was a driver issue. But I have not been able to find an updated driver. So we upgraded to Win 7, since the included Microsoft drivers for Win 7 are generally better fits with hardware than the ones in XP. For two weeks, we thought our burning error messages were history, but alas, they have returned. What direction should I take now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sound-doc

sound-doc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Correction: actually, the Lite-On LH20A1L is a SATA drive.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,678 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

I would first look at changing out the data cable and if a spare SATA port is available attach the new cable to a different port. 

Replacing CD burners every few months indicates a larger problem other than the burner, perhaps the MB itself. 

I don't know what you are using for burning software but you may want to look at Imgburn.

#4 sound-doc

sound-doc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hi, JohnC -- Thanks for the ideas. The previous CD burners were IDE, so the cable would not explain all the failures. We replaced the MB about a year ago. I'll try Imgburn, although we've used half-a-dozen software packages. The one that worked longest was the one that came with an LG drive. Presently we're using CDBurnerXP. We Always use new Taiyo Yuden blanks. In the past when we had problems, we got the same results with all burning programs we had on the computer (probably 4, before we upgraded to Win7). What really does not make sense to me is that replacing the burner always helps for a while, but once the problem occurs, it is consistent.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,678 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

When using Imgburn set it to the lowest write speed possible for your drive. Taiyo Yuden disks are pretty much top of the line. Did you every replace the PSU unit? I am wondering if it would have something to do with the constant burner replacements. I can't believe you are getting that many bad burners. I have burners that are over 10 years old that still work. But then again if it was the PSU, it would be affecting more than just the burner.

Edit: Have you ever tried to disassemble the burner to clean the lasers?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 April 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#6 sound-doc

sound-doc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

No, never tried to clean the lasers. The computer is located in the sanctuary balcony, in a roll-top cabinet that stays closed except for an hour or so per week. And the time between drive replacement and failure varies from a few months (for current unit) to about 10 years (for the computer's original drive). So I wouldn't expect laser contamination to be a factor, since it should be consistent. And I think we did replace the power supply a few years ago, before replacing the MB. My experience with other computers' burners lasting a long time agrees with yours. I will try Imgburn at lowest speed tomorrow. Thanks again.

#7 Nouvest

Nouvest

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

hi, what did you do to burn cd?

#8 sound-doc

sound-doc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Hi, Nouvest -- I place a new blank in the burner, open the software (now using CDBurnerXP), add the newly-recorded .wav tracks to the list, and click BURN. Also any additional "OK" clicks, etc., that the software requires. Software prepares to burn, says it is starting to burn, and (when it's not working out properly, as now) puts up a dialog box saying there's a burning error.

#9 sound-doc

sound-doc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hi, JohnC -- My first try installing Imgburn got me an installer that offered a BUNCH of bloatware, then claimed to install Imgburn, but didn't. Then I found the real installer and completed the install. Apparently Imgburn is only for data CD's, as it would only let me add folders (not .wav files) to the input screen. Looks like it doesn't do Red Book format audio CD's, which is all I need to burn. But that may not matter, since while I was putzing around with the computer, several other malfunctions appeared, making me suspect that a new MB is needed. If that doesn't cure the problem, I'll post to this thread again. Thanks for your help so far.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,678 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

It's not intuitive but Imgburn has a number of guides on their forum including this one on burning audio files. I don't know if this is what your are looking for though.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/5555-how-to-write-an-audio-cd-from-music-files-using-imgburn/

#11 sound-doc

sound-doc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

Thanks. All those look like compressed audio discs, which will not play in an audio CD player. When you try to look at the contents of a Red Book CD in Windows Explorer, all you see is a few 1kB files, and the actual .wav files containing the music are not shown. Software like Nero, CDBurnerXP, Roxio, Anyburn, and half-a-score of others are typically use for burning Red Book CD's.

Correction: the compressed audio files will not play on most home-stereo CD players, or older automotive units. They will play on newer automotive CD players.

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2017 - 05:38 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users