Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain user issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

In a Domain environment we created a user in Active Directory as jsmith, for example.  The user has an HP computer with Win7 Pro installed.  The user was then added to the User group on his PC and his user profile appears as JSMITH.  Since I was not the person who actually created this particular user, I'm not sure if lower case, upper case or a combination was actually used.

For years, this user has been logging on typing his ID as Jsmith and has had no issues.  Last week he noticed that upon logging in, his normal desktop did not appear and he received a message that he was logged on with a temporary profile.  He was able to determine that if he logged in as Jsmith, his normal desktop loaded but if he logged in as jsmith, the temporary profile loaded.

When we check the users folder on his PC, only one instance of his user name appears and it typed as Jsmith.

Is there something that can be changed in our environment so that a user can log onto their PC and case doesn't matter..........in case there is a typo involved?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

Case for name doesn't matter.  You need to figure out why the pc/user wasn't able to connect to the server during logon.  Check your server security logs

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hello

AD is case sensitive but when it comes to usernames you can use any mix of capitol and small letters

jsmith is the same as Jsmith or JSMITH or JsMiTh or any other combination

Perhaps he logged onto the local machine with one of those logins, instead of the AD?

In case of a bad profile this has fixed most of my temp profile issues
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

Hth!

tfn

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'll vote with toofarnorth and would suggest recreating the user profile.  I highly doubt it is an AD issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users