Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change the default location/language of Google within Firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mude

Mude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hey everyone!

This is my situation: I live in Germany. I use Firefox as my web browser, and Google as my search engine. So if for example I was to type "Test search blabla" into the URL bar of Firefox and hit enter, it would go to www.Google.com which will redirect me to www.Google.de...

Surely there must be a way of changing it, so that when I type something into the URL bar and hit enter, it automatically uses www.Google.co.uk.

I've tried to use this search, as well as the Google search, but I came up with nothing useful to be honest. Somewhere in some different Forum, someone suggested messing around with Firefox by typing "about:config" into the URL bar, and deleting/changing certain parameters.

Since I'm rather a noob, I don't want to mess around with that, without having someone I can ask for help in case I mess things up. :smash:

Am I allowed to post the links to the websites with the suggested potential solutions?

This is my first post here. Please be kind. And if I've done anything wrong, please let me know. :)

Kind regards,

Mude

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

Open 'Firefox'. Go to 'Option/Settings'. Find 'default search engines' or something like that. Uncheck them all. Type in on the free space for a default search engine 'www.google.co.uk . Click on 'add' or something similar. Close 'Option/Settings'. Close Firefox. Restart your computer. That's it.

#3 Mude

Mude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately, there is no free space where I can add my own search engine. I can click "add more search engines...". But that just brings me to the Firefox-Add-Ons section.

Edited:

Hold on! Thanks. I managed to get it to work. I just searched for "Google UK" within the Add-Ons. There are several. So I think it's important to choose the correct one.

I'll post a screenshot of the one that worked for me, just in case someone will find this thread one day. Maybe it'll help :)

Thanks again for the fast help, mate!

QH4yVo8.png

Edited by Mude, 18 April 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

Open 'Firefox'. Go to 'Option/Settings'. Find 'default search engines' or something like that. Uncheck them all. Type in on the free space for a default search engine 'www.google.co.uk . Click on 'add' or something similar. Close 'Option/Settings'. Close Firefox. Restart your computer. That's it.

Is it black humor or something else?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Possibly this add-on

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/googleuk/

Edit: Missed the edited post. :blush:

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 April 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

Is it black humor or something else?
:lmao: I was in a hurry, so I provided the 'leanest' version of the explanation possible, lol. But hey... it worked!:lmao:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 18 April 2017 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users