Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver crashing my computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 django84

django84

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

I own a HP Pavilion Notebook 15-ab122ax  with Windows 10 Home 64-bit and AMD RADEON GRAPHICS. I am stuck using a basic display driver which is giving my laptop troubles every time I try and upgrade to the driver recommended by the AMD website or the HP website. When I download the driver through the AMD website or I click update driver my computer crashes with a blue screen and gets an atikmdag.sys error message. So I downloaded the latest driver for my model through the hp website and it crashed with a blue screen initially but when i rebooetd it seemed to have updated the driver and my computer. I decided to restart to make sure it working, but when I restarted my computer went right to automatic repair and diagnos this pc before I could load windows. I restarted windows several times and every time it was the same. So I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled, but halfway through the download, my computer crashed and wouldnt let me finish downloading the driver. I tried reinstalling about 3 times, but every time it would stop downloading halfway and restart my computer. I am completely lost here and would appreciate any help.

Product Name: 

HP Pavilion Notebook 15ab122ax

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD A8-7410 62 °C
Mullins 28nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-12-28)
Motherboard
HP 80B8 (P0) 48 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@64Hz)
ATI AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (HP)
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
hp DVDRW SU208GB
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

Have You tried, how works Windows given driver? 
Simply uninstall current, restart computer and wait a bit, if Windows update works and have correct settings, it will install new driver automatically. 

HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab122ax
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-ab100-notebook-pc-series/8499302/model/8960273

Edited by zainmax, 18 April 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

1) Laptop drivers should ONLY be obtained from the website of the laptop manufacturer (HP in your case)

2) Was there a problem with the driver you originally had (why did you try to "upgrade" it)?

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Try wiping your old graphics drivers from Safe Mode with DDU. Restart your computer into Safe Mode, and try to install the graphics drivers from there.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 django84

django84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

1) Laptop drivers should ONLY be obtained from the website of the laptop manufacturer (HP in your case)

2) Was there a problem with the driver you originally had (why did you try to "upgrade" it)

Well I was actually  downgraded somehow. My computer started having problems like being stuck in automatic repair and would not load into windows. I reinstalled windows and it crashed  with a blue screen every time i logged in. My computer automatically downgraded my drivers, and now my quality in video is very poor compared to what it used to be. That is what I am upgrading for.  

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

I don't know what you mean when you say the computer downgraded your drivers, but okay - right now we'll let that go. It sounds as though your problems are more significant than the display adapter. If it was stuck in a repair loop and then bsod'd after a reinstall, something is clearly wrong.

I suggest we start with the simple checks - ram and hd.

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

To check the HD, download SeaTools for DOS (http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-master/), burn to a cd, boot to the cd and run the diagnostic.

Let's see where we are after you run those tests.

#7 django84

django84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Try wiping your old graphics drivers from Safe Mode with DDU. Restart your computer into Safe Mode, and try to install the graphics drivers from there.

Regards,

bwv848

Went through your steps. Uninstalled drivers with DDU in safe mode. Installed graphics drivers from HP Website which needed internet access so I had to leave safe mode, I tried safe mode with networking but wouldn't let me access internet either.  installed drivers, computer needed to reboot to finalize installation. When i rebooted the HP logo came up with the spinning circle and was very laggy. I was then taken to a blue screen which said, "Your PC couldn't  start properly", with an error code:0xc0000001. My only option was to do a restore and I am back to the basic drivers again.

I don't know what you mean when you say the computer downgraded your drivers, but okay - right now we'll let that go. It sounds as though your problems are more significant than the display adapter. If it was stuck in a repair loop and then bsod'd after a reinstall, something is clearly wrong.

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

To check the HD, download SeaTools for DOS (http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-master/), burn to a cd, boot to the cd and run the diagnostic.

Sorry If I am not making sense, I am not a very technological person and all of this is new to me. When I say downgraded I mean I went from really good graphic performance to very poor, my brightness can not turn up or down either. Right now my display driver is AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics and it has a device status of: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). Then under other devices I have unknown device and video controller which both have a status of: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device.To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver. But I cant update anything without crashing or running into some kind of blue screen. 

I will pick up some CDs and run both the programs you told me to before the end of the week and report back. This is all over my head so thanks for the support and quick responses.

Edited by django84, 18 April 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:15 AM

Can you zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and attach them in your next reply?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#9 django84

django84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

Can you zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and attach them in your next reply

Attached Files

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

The dump blames atikmpag.sys, your graphics driver as expected. Nothing much we can do until you run the RAM and HDD tests as Allan suggested.

Edited by bwv848, 19 April 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#11 django84

django84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

The dump blames atikmpag.sys, your graphics driver as expected. Nothing much we can do until you run the RAM and HDD tests as Allan suggested.

Ok so I downloaded the iso files and right clicked them and selected burn to disc, on separate discs of course. But for some reason I cant boot from the disc? Here are my BIOS  settings:

UEFI Boot Order

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

>OS Boot Manager

USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk

!  Network Adapter

Legacy Boot Order

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

Notebook Hard Drive

!  Network Adapter

USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk

Secure Boot is enabled and I burnt the ISO images onto a CD-R Disk. I am not sure if there i something i missing?

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

MemTest86+ that Allan linked isn't compatible with UEFI systems. Please use MemTest86 instead:

http://www.memtest86.com/

#13 django84

django84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

Ok so I just completed the memtest. I posted pictures of the results. I assume there is no problem with the ram going off what the results say? Sorry about the blurry picture quality, I wasn't sure on how else to save the results so I took a picture from my phone. I will do the HD check some time this week as the RAM test took about 5 hours to complete. Just want to make sure that the RAM is ok?

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   63.15KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   91.19KB   0 downloads

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Looks fine to me. How about the HDD test?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users