Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatically Attempts To Access 'net!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Viggums

Viggums

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:32 AM

When I sign on my Acer Aspire automatically attempts to access the 'net. ..everytime! ..more of an annoyance than anything. What can I do to stop this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:40 AM

Have you checked Task Scheduler ?

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

More detail is needed regarding what you mean.

I would expect that any Windows 10 (and earlier, actually) machine would attempt to establish an internet connection at startup if for no other purpose than Windows Update.  This strikes me as perfectly normal behavior, not a problem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

This is not normal behavior.

Check Task Scheduler.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

Check Task Scheduler.

What is not normal behavior?   "Automatically attempts to access the 'net," covers so much territory as to be impossible to say anything about normal or not.

There is not enough specificity in the original message to draw the conclusion you draw.  I have yet to see a Windows 10 machine that does not attempt to make an internet connection as part of its startup sequence.  Whether or not it succeeds is another question entirely.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

More detail is needed regarding what you mean.

I would expect that any Windows 10 (and earlier, actually) machine would attempt to establish an internet connection at startup if for no other purpose than Windows Update.  This strikes me as perfectly normal behavior, not a problem.

Brian, I use many different Linux distributions and this is normal for every Linux OS as well.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

Check Task Scheduler.

What is not normal behavior?   "Automatically attempts to access the 'net," covers so much territory as to be impossible to say anything about normal or not.

There is not enough specificity in the original message to draw the conclusion you draw.  I have yet to see a Windows 10 machine that does not attempt to make an internet connection as part of its startup sequence.  Whether or not it succeeds is another question entirely.

I had various Windows 10 OS installed.

None attempted to connect to the internet on restart.

My answer was based on that.

From personal experience.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

Check Task Scheduler.

Every Windows since Windows 95 connects to the internet upon start up. The same can be said for every version of Linux as well. It is just a part of the operating system.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

Check Task Scheduler.

Every Windows since Windows 95 connects to the internet upon start up. The same can be said for every version of Linux as well. It is just a part of the operating system.

Mine does not.

I have to click on my browser to start it. (Opera:

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

That is not normal behavior for any operating system.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

You might be having hardware issues if you do not automatically connect to the internet. Have you tried other operating systems on the same hard ware?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

I poked around on the internet for you and the best indication is that you are having a hardware issue if your "SYSTEM" does not automatically connect to the internet upon start up. There are a lot of possible problems, but read this to get an idea of some of the hardware issues that you might be facing;

https://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/138742-computer-does-not-automatically-connect-internet-startup.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

That is not normal behavior for any operating system.

Indeed.  There has not been an operating system in decades that does not, by default, attempt to establish network connectivity if a profile for doing so exists on the machine.  I haven't had a version of Windows that I can remember that doesn't immediately establish a WiFi connection if a profile is present or a connection via ethernet if ethernet's plugged in.

Windows hasn't waited until one started a web browser, any web browser, to attempt to establish an internet connection for as long as I can remember.  I got my undergraduate degree in computer science when DOS was still king, so I've been around the block more times than I care to count.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users