Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this considered normal data usage?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

Is using ~25GB of data per month abnormally high or low, or relatively average?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Depends on what you are using though.

I use a 200 GB a month :P

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

Wow, 200 GiB lasts about a week here maybe.

#4 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

See @NickAu is using better than me 200 GB in a week .

My 200 GB a month is the limit placed by my ISP.

#5 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:08 AM

40 GB per month here... I watch YouTube in 360p :P

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:19 AM

Is using ~25GB of data per month abnormally high or low, or relatively average?

Is this for a "landline" Internet connection (i.e. cable, fiber, DSL)? Or is it for a wireless Internet connection through your cell phone company?

If the former, then it is likely on the lighter side and suggests that you likely don't watch much in the way of streaming video content like Netflix, etc. That amount of data for a landline connection would be more in line with typical browsing and email with maybe some occasional large file downloads (i.e. OS updates, etc).

If the latter, then that in on the high side of things, especially in today's world with a lot of "metered" connections (i.e. cellular data limits), although unlimited connection are kind of making a comeback (they are usually unlimited, but have the catch of slowing down your connection speed at some data limit).

Others have given you an idea of their usage (of what I assume is their "landline" connection use). In my case, I have varied from mid 100 GBs to about 500 Gb...depends on the month and what I am doing. For my cellular connection, I use rather little data (typically about 1 GB or so) since I am mostly on my own WiFi connection and I don't do much more than check email and some web browsing and similar stuff...no watching of videos really, etc.

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:15 AM

Thank you all for your speedy responses and especially to smax013 for the detailed answer.

I have checked my data usage on my smartphone for the past 4 months and it is on average ~25GB/month. However, I do not sport any other computer and am using it as a primary device on our home Wi-Fi network. So, I guess that makes me as a whole not a heavy user. And as compared to smartphone users - ~25GB would make me an extremely heavy user.

Thanks!:)

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

Thank you all for your speedy responses and especially to smax013 for the detailed answer.

I have checked my data usage on my smartphone for the past 4 months and it is on average ~25GB/month. However, I do not sport any other computer and am using it as a primary device on our home Wi-Fi network. So, I guess that makes me as a whole not a heavy user. And as compared to smartphone users - ~25GB would make me an extremely heavy user.

Thanks! :)

Again it kind of depends.

In my case, I use about 1 GB or so of cellular data at most each month, but I do use more than that overall since most of time I am using my smartphone it is on my own WiFi network and so it is using my landline connection most of the time. And I don't currently have a way to separate just my cell phone WiFi data use from the rest of my landline data use.

So, my point is that 25 GB of data on your cell may or may not actually be a lot depending on how much of that data is using your cellular data plan vs. how much of it is using your landline WiFi. If it is mostly or all cellular, then that is on the high end of the spectrum. If it is mostly WiFi that connects to a landline connection, then that could still be on the lighter end of the spectrum.

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

I understand, thank you!:)
I am using my smartphone as an only computer without any SIM card or contract with it. These ~25GB of data usage per month are entirely on my smartphone via Wi-Fi. I have no other computer in my possession, so that is all my traffic for a month.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

I understand, thank you! :)
I am using my smartphone as an only computer without any SIM card or contract with it. These ~25GB of data usage per month are entirely on my smartphone via Wi-Fi. I have no other computer in my possession, so that is all my traffic for a month.

Then I would consider that on the lighter side of things since you are in effect using your smartphone as a computer that is effectively connected to a landline data connection. At 25 GB, you are likely mainly doing typical browsing type stuff (whether directly in a browser or in apps...many apps are effectively just specialized browsers for specific content, but even if not, most apps don't use tons of data) with some occasional video watching or maybe moderate streaming music listening. At least that would be my guess from about 25 GB of data usage.

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:59 AM

You are correct. However, I've been using it quite highly actually these past couple of months, due to sickness. The thing is though, as you suggested, I don't really do a lot of highly-graphical activities online, so in the end even though I've used my smartphone a lot, I haven't really clocked so many GBs. I mainly use it for browsing this website, Wikipedia, Yahoo!Finance & googling random stuff, so it makes sense.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 19 April 2017 - 07:59 AM.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

You are correct. However, I've been using it quite highly actually these past couple of months, due to sickness. The thing is though, as you suggested, I don't really do a lot of highly-graphical activities online, so in the end even though I've used my smartphone a lot, I haven't really clocked so many GBs. I mainly use it for browsing this website, Wikipedia, Yahoo!Finance & googling random stuff, so it makes sense. :)

That is how I mostly use my iPhone whether I am at home using WiFi or out of the house using cellular. I have never really be much of video streamer on my phone unless I am stuck somewhere and bored out of my mind...just cannot watch stuff on a tiny screen unless forced. And I don't use streaming music services...I either buy my music through iTunes or on CDs. So, most of my use is checking email, browsing, or reading news articles in new apps (that can result in some short streamed videos...typically a couple minutes long to maybe 7 minutes max). While I don't have any data usage direct for the phone when on WiFi, I would imagine that my data usage for both WiFi and cellular on the phone is in the same rough ball park as what you use.

My computer(s) and other devices (such as an Apple TV) is a completely other matter. For the computer, there are downloads of significant size files whether movies purchased through iTunes or applications and OS updates. For the Apple TV, there is streaming of purchased videos (movies and some TV shows) and occasional Netflix binges (mainly when the next Netflix Marvel series is released).

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

That is cool! And want to hear some funky statistic? I roughly estimate that in all my life and in any form, be it via a computer, cell phone, TV, cinema, radio, billboard on the street, etc., I have consumed no more than 100TB of electronic information in my ~22 years of living. And now comes the interesting, atleast to me, part. That means that every electronic piece of information I have ever been subjected to can be stored on just ten 10TB SSDs at most!
I don't know, I find it cool.:lmao:
Anyways, I am straying away from the original topic. Thank you for your answer once again!:)

#14 rainingforest

rainingforest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

I use around 600GB to 1TB a month lol.

#15 KZ91820

KZ91820

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

I get mad when I go past 2GB a month! I use my PC for most things of course. I'm a Gen X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users