Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screw something up-help would be appreciated

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 minasmom123

minasmom123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

I will preface this by saying anything to do with computer networking and hardware is like speaking a foreign language to me.

My daughter was complaining that our wi-fi was not working in her room, so I purchased a MSRM wi-fi range extender.

During setup, it told me that we needed to be on WPA, and that the channel should be 11.

I fumbled my way through logging into our Linksys router and changed the wi-fi channel from 9 to 11, and changed the personal security from WEP to WPA2.

Everything seems to be working correctly with the exception of apps on our Television- Netflix, Youtube, etc. all say they are not connected. The TV is plugged into our router.

I tried calling Comcast but they said they couldn't help me because my modem is not theirs (our modem is an Arris Surfboard SB6121.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this before my children kill me because they can't watch Netflix on the TV?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:11 PM

I will preface this by saying anything to do with computer networking and hardware is like speaking a foreign language to me.

My daughter was complaining that our wi-fi was not working in her room, so I purchased a MSRM wi-fi range extender.

During setup, it told me that we needed to be on WPA, and that the channel should be 11.

I fumbled my way through logging into our Linksys router and changed the wi-fi channel from 9 to 11, and changed the personal security from WEP to WPA2.

Everything seems to be working correctly with the exception of apps on our Television- Netflix, Youtube, etc. all say they are not connected. The TV is plugged into our router.

I tried calling Comcast but they said they couldn't help me because my modem is not theirs (our modem is an Arris Surfboard SB6121.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this before my children kill me because they can't watch Netflix on the TV?

Here is some information on your Surfboard Modem >> http://arris.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000GNcscAAD&c=SURFboard%20Cable%20Modems%20and%20Gateways

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:22 AM

Have you tried rebooting the modem and router? It is possible that in adjusting the settings of the router, it resulting in the TV losing it assigned IP address from the router. If so, then rebooting likely would re-establish the connection.

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

Hello

Is the TV plugged into the router with a cable or through the wifi?

If it is through the wifi you might have to rerun the network setup on the tv.
Since the new encryption key is now in wpa2 format the wep key stored in the tv wont be accepted by the router

Hth!

tfn

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

I'm with toofarnorth, did you change the wireless settings on the TV?  If the TV doesn't support WPA2 then you will have to go back to an older encryption method that it does support for it to work.  Worst case you could get some kind of streaming stick (Amazon FireTV, Google ChromeStick) and use that instead.

Edited by Kilroy, 24 April 2017 - 02:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users