Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2010 and April 11, 2017

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a great Easter weekend if it's applicable in your country of residence!

I was wondering if someone here could answer a question I have.  Since last Tuesday's patch Tuesday, some of our enterprise clients have been experiencing a difficulty with MS Office 2010.

All of the software in the office suite closes as soon as it's open, asking if we would like to send an error report to microsoft and providing the option to restart the application. In the events viewer, for each application MSVCR90.dll is the module that is at fault.  I understand that this module is part of the Visual C++ redistributables, and my first inclination was to reinstall that package.  However, it did not work.  In the end, I performed a full removal of office 2010 professional plus and then reinstalled it and the software was working.  I activated the software, and left the machine running all weekend.  This morning when I arrived at work I connected to the system and checked it again, and the same error had returned, with the same symptoms and the same logs in the events 

I am curious to know, if anyone knows which update out of the following may have caused this problem? :

MS Excel 2010 KB3191847

MS Office 2010 KB3141538

MS Office 2010 KB2589382

MS Outlook 2010 KB3118388

If not, then perhaps someone may be able to shed some light on the issue?

The system in question is a terminal server, while we are aware that it is not officially supported by Microsoft any longer, the OS is Server 2003 R2.

I felt that even though this is installed on a server, this question is still applicable for this topic as it is regarding software that is used primarily in a desktop environment.  At any rate, any and all help is vastly welcomed and greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!  :radioactive:  :busy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

If anyone cares to know the verdict, it turned out to be affected by the MS Office 2010 KB3141538 update that came out on April 11, 2017.  So if anyone is having issues with their copy of MS Office 2010, remove this update and then try opening your software and the issue should go away.  Bear in mind that in the environment I was working out of was a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 OS, I can't say for any level of certainty that the issue would be resolved using a regular desktop OS.

#3 wallaceka

wallaceka

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

Oh my gosh THANK YOU SO MUCH - this was driving me bananas. I knew it was from a bad update but could not figure out which one. Thanks to you, I am able to exclude it from being pushed by the WSUS server. You have literally saved me from pulling my hair out!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users