Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update to windows 10 from Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vesterlee2008

vesterlee2008

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

I have two laptops with windows vista,  I want to update to windows 10 and also not lose any of my data. 

What is the best way in detail for me to accomplish this mission ? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

As far as I know you cannot upgrade from Vista to Windows 10, only Windows 7 and 8.1 allow an upgrade without losing your programs and data. You would need to backup your data first then do a clean install of Windows 10. After the clean install you would reinstall all your programs.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-windows-vista-windows-10

During the free upgrade period of Windows 10 only computers with 7 and 8 were allowed to upgrade. 

You may want to consider purchasing a new computer with Windows 10 considering the age and the fact you would be purchasing a new license of Windows 10 for two computers.

#3 vesterlee2008

vesterlee2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Thank you for the quick response..

#4 E-Chen

E-Chen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hi

I have a PC tower with Vista installed. I understand with the end of support for Vista that using this machine for anything confidential such as on-line banking etc is not now a good idea.

I'd like to upgrade the PC to Windows 10.

The PC has:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500 at 2.20 GHz

3.00 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Graphics

232GB SATA Hard Drive

Would Windows 10 run efficiently with this spec on the PC? I realise it would need a clean install from a purchased Windows 10 disc.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,001 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

The computer should be able to run Windows 10 but you will need to upgrade your graphics card as the Radeon 2000 series is not supported according to AMD but you can install Windows 10 and see how it goes. Before installing Windows 10 create a complete disk image to an external drive using a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper if you do not have imaging software. Both are free and would let you revert back to Vista using the bootable media each program lets you create should you decide to do so. 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Win10-Driver-Support.aspx

You can download the Windows 8.1 upgrade assistant. If it passes this then the computer can run Windows 10.

It's also possible your printer/scanner is not supported if you have one and it's an older model. Check to see if drivers are available for Windows 10. Check any other devices you have connected to the computer for Windows 10 compatibility.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Run this on a Windows 7 or later computer to create an install DVD or USB flash drive.

Use the following generic keys to install Windows 10. These will not activate Windows but will allow you to install. 

TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for Windows 10 Home 
7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH for Windows 10 Home Single Language 
VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T for Windows 10 Pro edition

#6 E-Chen

E-Chen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the swift response. I'm not sure the upgrade to windows 10 on this PC is worth the cost of the software and a new graphics card - and a new printer if that's needed too. It's best part of 10 years old already so I suspect it's days are numbered! :smash:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

Your Welcome,

I agree. Trying to put Windows 10 on this computer is not worth the effort or expense. Just remember that Vista is no longer supported with Security Updates so I would not use it for banking or internet purchases.

You could boot a live linux disk and see how that runs on your computer but as far as it detecting your old printer I wouldn't have a clue. For people migrating from Windows linux Mint is a good choice. For an older computer you would most likely be better off running either the Mate or Xfce versions of Mint. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users