Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cerber ransomware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 vesterlee2008

vesterlee2008

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

Is there a way  on how to recover two workstations in details if you do not mind and what can be done to prevent it from happening again in the future

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

There are several different variants of Cerber Ransomware with different file extensions appended to the end of encrypted filenames and ransom notes.

Any files that are encrypted with the original Cerber Ransomware will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a .cerber or a random 4 digit extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. 2C1OlcaXdF.cerber, kMWZJggq2p.a82d) and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs, DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, DECRYPT MY FILES#.html as explained here.

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v2 will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a .cerber2 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. Ku7dYlcvkj.cerber2) and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs, DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, DECRYPT MY FILES#.html as explained here.

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v3 will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a .cerber3 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. um87p5n5x9.cerber3) and leave files (ransom notes) named # HELP DECRYPT #.txt, # HELP DECRYPT #.html, # HELP DECRYPT #.url as explained here.

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v4x/v5x will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a random 4 character hexadecimal extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. 1xQHJgozZM.b71c) and leave files (ransom notes) named README.hta, README.html, _HEJDDP_README_.hta, _READ_THIS_FILE_<random hexadecimal>.html (i.e _5M6C2B8.html), _HELP_HELP_HELP_<random hexadecimal>.hta (i.e _5M6C2B8.hta) as explained here. Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v5x will also include a few new changes as explained here.

Trend Micro released a Ransomware File Decryptor for victims of earlier Cerber v1 infections but it has limitations. Expand the CERBER Decryption Limitations link near the bottom of the page...must be used on the infected machine, may take several hours to complete decryption, some files may be only partially decrypted. BloodDolly explains wny the decrypter is not very effective. Trend Micro's decryptor does not work on Cerber v2/v3 encrypted files or the newer v4x/v5x variants which use 10 random characters with a random 4 character hexadecimal extension (i.e. 1xQHJgozZM.b71c). Unfortunately that means, there is still no way to decrypt files by these variants without paying the ransom.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic victims you can post comments, ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.When or if a solution is found, that information will be provided in that support topic and you will receive notification if subscribed to it. In addition, a news article most likely will be posted on the BleepingComputer front page.

Rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the above support topic discussion...it includes experiences by experts, a variety of IT consultants, end users and company reps who have been affected by ransomware infections. To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users