Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doctorbob91

doctorbob91

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

What is best way for me to back up my pc?

I do pay for icloud storage....

thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 17 April 2017 - 12:07 PM.
Moved from Web Site Development to Backup/Imaging Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

What is best way for me to back up my pc?

I do pay for icloud storage....

thanks!

This is not an easy question to answer as it can involve many factors.

Typically, the most common way for someone to backup a computer is to buy an external USB drive and then use some sort of backup program to backup the computer to the external drive.

Depending on your usage pattern of your computer (i.e. if you really don't have a lot of personal files such as pictures, videos, word processing files), however, that might be a little bit of overkill.

And that is the essentially one of the most simplistic ways. Depending on your tolerance for risk, your overall risk level for things like malware (i.e. do you stick to just a few "big name" websites...or do you wander over all kind of sites on the Internet), your willingness to spend money, and how important you consider your data, you might choose to go even more complicated from there (i.e. multiple backups, keeping at least one backup off site, etc).

So, you might want to expand a bit on your usage.

What OS are you using? This might help determine if you have a viable backup program built into your OS.

What size is your hard drive? And how full is the hard drive (i.e. how much data do you have)? What type of personal files do you have (i.e. pictures, word processing documents, spreadsheets, home videos, bought videos, etc)?

How do you use the computer? Just browsing mostly and other online stuff? Or do you do a lot of "content creation" on your computer?

Do you want the backup just to protect your user files? Or do you want your backup to be able to restore the computer to functioning without having to reinstall Windows and the programs? And if you want your backup to be able to restore the computer to functioning condition without reinstalling Windows and programs, do you want that to be pretty much immediate or is it OK if takes a little time?

How much do you want to spend on setting up a backup "system"?

The one thing that I will note is that generally speaking iCloud is not terribly conducive to backing up Windows computers. If your computer in a Mac running the latest version of the macOS (aka Sierra or 10.12.x), then it can be more useful in effectively, kind of backing up your Mac...but not with earlier versions of the macOS. There are likely ways to "kludge" using iCloud to backup Windows and older versions of the macOS, but it would not be ideal.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

+1!  And, there is plenty of free and pay-for utilities, such as Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, AOMEI Backupper, EaseUS Todo to name just a few, that can easily be used to make routine backups onto any affordable and reliable external media, be it DVDs, usb flash drives, and of course my favorite - usb external HDs.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users