Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System File Checker Missing Files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 M97_Marty

M97_Marty

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hi there,

I recently ran a System File Check scan of my PC, which resulted in it showing that several component store corruptions were detected, but were unable to be solved. The Microsoft Support page said I should manually replace missing files, but I don't know where to find them. The support page had stated that I could use files from a non-corrupted Windows, but I don't have another computer besides this one. Does anyone know how I could replace these files? 

The sfcdetails.txt log is attached to this post.

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chadatcoderedcomp

chadatcoderedcomp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

Attempt the steps from Microsoft here. It will repair most deeply corrupted installations. Be sure to run this in an elevated command prompt (Start -> type cmd -> right click, run as administrator)

DISM fix utility for corrupt windows -   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

-Chad

chad [at] coderedcomputing.com

#3 M97_Marty

M97_Marty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

I tried that already also. At 89.5%, DISM stops and says "the source files could not be found". I looked up a Technet Guide and it told me to enable Group Policy. Having a Windows 10 Home installation, I had to manually download and install it. Still, it could not remedy my problem since there was no "specify settings for optional component installation and component repair". 

#4 M97_Marty

M97_Marty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

I also tried this to no avail. 

net stop wuauserv

cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution

ren Download Download.old

net start wuauserv

net stop bits

net start bits

net stop cryptsvc

cd %systemroot%\system32

ren catroot2 catroot2old

net start cryptsvc

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

Well, you could always do a "Reset this PC" from System, Update & security, Recovery pane and use the keep my files option.  This reinstalls the OS.

That's my next step when SFC and DISM can't solve the problem.  Just make sure you have made backups first (as one should always do before any "major work").

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 M97_Marty

M97_Marty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Thanks! It says that the reinstall would keep my personal files, and remove my programs. Does that mean everything outside the C: Windows, and Programfiles folders will be untouched? For example I have several project and cache files for Adobe After Effects installed in the Documents folder. 

#7 chadatcoderedcomp

chadatcoderedcomp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

Thanks! It says that the reinstall would keep my personal files, and remove my programs. Does that mean everything outside the C: Windows, and Programfiles folders will be untouched? For example I have several project and cache files for Adobe After Effects installed in the Documents folder. 

Always assume the worse. It shouldn't touch any personal files however I wouldnt trust it. Make a good copy of everything you want onto a USB drive before doing any type of restore.

-Chad

chad [at] coderedcomputing.com

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

Chad and I have both given you the same advice: Always make backups of all your important user data before doing any type of recovery/restore/reset.

In theory, and probably 99% or greater of the time in practice, your user files remain untouched and exactly where you left them if you do a Reset this PC using the "keep my files" option.  However, there are always times when something goes horribly wrong and you have lost everything if you didn't back it up first.

Better safe than sorry.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

You have been given good advice.

You WILL lose all installed programs.

Replacing them will be tedious.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#10 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

You have been given good advice.

You WILL lose all installed programs.

Replacing them will be tedious.

Yes can be tedious,you can make it less painfull by thinking the reinstall through,in this case organise your install programs,( do an inventry so you know exactly what you need to replace) you have them ready to go and to hand and dont have to go searching around for them one by one,,copy any stand alone apps so you can replace them quickly etc.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10

While the above is not directly pertinent, the bit regarding the use of "shell:AppsFolder" view makes it somewhat easier to take a quick inventory of the apps you've installed, whether via the Windows 10 Store or a conventional install.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 M97_Marty

M97_Marty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:45 PM

Alright. Thanks for the help you all. I'll proceed to backup important program and personal files before the system reset, just in case.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users