Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying special use laptop. Looking for brands advice.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 amfeuerstein

amfeuerstein

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Good morning. Apologies in advance for the specific limitations on this question.

I usually build my own computers, but have decided to set up multiple computers for different purposes. I have little experience buying laptops rather than buying desktop components.

The laptop I want help with right now is going to be primarily for administrative tasks. It needs to be able to run windows 10, office, acrobat, browse the web, and run an email client (thunderbird). It's going to hold my records and important documents, so it's going to have to run both heavy AV, anti malware, etc., and an auto off-site back up service.

It does NOT need to play videos, games, edit graphics, etc. It does not need to run large amounts of programs our tabs at once.

I'm looking primarily for a brand that isn't super expensive, but is known for dependability rather than performance specs. Good support would also be nice.

Once I have the brand, I'll start waiting for deals and grab whatever looks good, do I only need the brand.

Thanks!

Edited by amfeuerstein, 17 April 2017 - 11:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

From personal experience, I have two Acer Aspire 77xx laptops, 5+ year old $1100, 2+ year old $1600.  Solid, durable, dependable. I think only one had to have the HD replaced.  I heard good things also about Asus, Toshiba, Dell, HP, and other brands.  I think basically quality money in, quality product out.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 April 2017 - 10:21 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,412 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

More than a brand you will want a Solid State Drive (SSD) in this machine and 8GB of RAM.  I have supported both the HP (EliteBook and ZBook) and Dell (Precision and Latitude) business lines and would recommend either brand.  If you're looking to save some money you can get a refurbished version.  Most of the refurbished machines are machines that were lease returns.

#4 amfeuerstein

amfeuerstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. My only experience with Acer is an ancient netbook which works 90% of the time after 8 years and their desktop monitors, so I'll do some research into them.

Are business class laptops more reliable than home/personal laptops within the same price point?

I want to clarify/reemphasize that I'm looking primarily for brand advice. I'm NOT looking for hardware advice, I have that fully covered. It's appreciated, of course, but I'm primarily looking for brand advice.

Specifically, I'm going to get a $200-400 laptop for extremely limited tasks. It's going to have low specs, because it won't need to do anything that requires power or speed. I have numerous self built desktop rigs to handle the other stuff.

My laptop will be affordable, run Windows 10, and most importantly, will live forever (slight exaggeration).

Within these parameters I'm looking for a brand that makes low end laptops with a reputation for dependability. Once I have a few brands, then I can go hunting on newegg for something that has the specs/price I want.

Edited by amfeuerstein, 17 April 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#5 Kathy_Ridge

Kathy_Ridge

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

@amfeuerstein. Asus makes dependable, durable, yet inexpensive laptops. We're talking about notebooks under $400, but can pretty much do any of the tasks you mentioned. Lenovo is also one you might want to take a look at. However, between the two I'd go for Asus. Good luck!

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:38 AM

Yup, Acer & Asus should be your main brands to look for, given your criteria. Especially Acer if your budget's tight.:)

#7 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:41 AM

good morning to all,

i don't see any reason to buy an expensive laptop for your needs

even a four years old used laptop with 4 gb of ram wih 320 gb hd will do your job perfectly....

dell business series of laptops are really good with excellent supoort too

toshiba also are good too

#8 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:02 AM

For Cheap and good working laptops Acer is always my choice.

I still have my laptop working fully from the last 5 years.

#9 robertdane101

robertdane101

• Banned Spammer
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

I have used HP and Dell both are durable brands. You basically want a laptop that can remain on for longer periods and can take care of your storage needs. So get a 2TB Spinpoint Seagate and at least 8GB of RAM. Any laptop computer with better battery timings will serve the need. You should opt for something that has Core processor 4th generation minimum

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

For Cheap and good working laptops Acer is always my choice.  I still have my laptop working fully from the last 5 years.

I think my two are approaching 5-6 years and 3-4 years respectively.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,412 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

The advantage of the business lines is usually a better warranty, three years verses one year, of course if you go with a refurbished machine that isn't really a selling point.  The business models, generally, are reliable and do not have as many internal hardware changes as a consumer model would have.  A business machine may have the same hardware for 12 months where a consumer machine may change quarterly.  This allows a business a much more stable machine model to maintain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users