Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need another Rev.2.0 to avoid an OS reinstall?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

I previously had this problem: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/644460/computer-wont-turn-on/

I'm about to take my PC to a local shop, once it opens in a few hours.

Suppose they diagnose that the problem is the motherboard.

I remember when I first got this motherboard, I was advised by a local expert (who has since gone out of business, so I can't ask him) that I should only expect it to "just boot up" without a hitch if I'm using the same motherboard as before. The OS is apparently installed with a particular motherboard & bios in mind. So if I'm getting a whole new motherboard (like I was back then), I would need to reinstall my OS.

I currently have a Gigabyte GA-970a-UD3P motherboard. I understand that those come in two versions, "Rev.1.0" and "Rev.2.0." I currently have the second version.

If my problem turns out to be a faulty motherboard, could I get a Rev.1.0 motherboard and have it work with my current OS installation? Or do I need specifically a version 2?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

I know of no correlation between a motherboard and compatibility with a Windows version.

BIOS revisions/versions typically relate to hardware support, not O/S.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

What the tech was most likely referring to is during Windows installation it makes note of the specific hardware in your computer and "ties" the installation to that hardware. If there are any significant changes (ie, motherboard) you may be required to reactivate Windows. This is done as a check by Microsoft to prevent installing the same Windows dvd in multiple systems.

#4 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

What the tech was most likely referring to is during Windows installation it makes note of the specific hardware in your computer and "ties" the installation to that hardware. If there are any significant changes (ie, motherboard) you may be required to reactivate Windows. This is done as a check by Microsoft to prevent installing the same Windows dvd in multiple systems.

That doesn't answer my question, though.

could I get a Rev.1.0 motherboard and have it work with my current OS installation? Or do I need specifically a version 2?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

As hamluis said, the motherboard doesn't define the OS you can use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users