Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with diagnosis and whether to upgrade or buy new

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Finallyfoundln37

Finallyfoundln37

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

Disclaimer: I am a noob. So hold on, this is going to be a journey. I need help with diagnosing the necessary repairs and/or upgrades and I need help deciding whether it would be smarter to just buy new. Both of these laptops are old hand-me-downs, mind you. 

The first laptop, my fallen love, is the Compaq c700. This small beast performed well when it came to having tons of tabs open at once. The bad news is I, like some sort of untamed jackass, used to lift this piece and carry it around by the screen. I didn't know any better. Well, I now know better since the screen now turns white as soon as it comes on. I've replaced the lcd cable but to no avail. I've ordered a replacement lcd screen and tried that with no success. I've hooked it up to a different screen which seems to work just fine until after I boot up the OS. As soon as I hear the "welcome" jingle for the Windows Login screen, the monitor goes directly to sleep. But get this, if I run the machine in Safe Mode, then the monitor does not go to sleep. So confusing to me. What's a simple man to do? 

The other laptop, the Compaq cq62, is remarkably slow. I have no idea what's making it so slow. I'm running it with Linux mint. I have virtually nothing on this computer as I keep all of my data on an external hard drive. I can provide the specs and some sort of benchmark if you can tell me what tests to run. 

This is the true horror... I use my laptop to work from home.. and the slowness of this computer completely destroys my productivity.. I'll have to spend an extra 60 seconds waiting on processes which should only take 30 seconds to complete. So if I'm planning to do 8 hours of work, I have to spend an extra 16 hours of pure waiting because of all of this damn buffering. It's madness. my job generates roughly $10-$15 in cash value per hour. So when pondering the possible fixes to these issues, can we also discuss whether it would be cost effective for me to take time away from work in order to repair these machines in lieu of just buying a new or refurbished one? My immediate need in a computer as of now is just to be able to smoothly browse multiple tabs at once. An average of 6 at a time. However I would also like to eventually have a machine which can handle audio and video editing. I know that changes the game a bit. I also acknowledge that this is a full mosaic of problems and I thank everyone for their patience and charity in sifting through this mess of mine with me. Thank you so much. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:07 AM

I'm not surprised they can't handle video editing. Both of them are entry level at best and they're laptops which can't be upgraded. 

Just to be sure, is this the C700: https://www.engadget.com/products/compaq/presario/c700/specs/

And is this the CQ62: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Compaq-Presario-CQ62-Notebook.41480.0.html

If they are then it's no wonder they can't do video editing. A machine that can video edit will cost considerably more than a general home and office one. If they are Laptops however, the price is a lot more compared to a tower if you are willing to sacrifice the portability, unless you move around a lot.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Laptop upgrade options are very limited, RAM and disk drive.

How much money do you have to spend on this project?

A solid state drive (SSD) and more RAM may be the cheapest, but you may be able to pick up a decent refurbished machine for about the same.  Especially since the RAM cost may be high if it is older.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users