Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Network issue(?) Windows 8.1 64

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brawns

Brawns

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

My computer drops internet and my browser (chrome) becomes unresponsive and get kicked from whatever game I'm playing but, I never lose actual WiFi connection. the drops vary but on average last 3 minutes. Been happening for 3 weeks.

Not my isp because I'm actually a comcast technician and have a ton of tools and diagnostics at my disposal and have concurred so. My roomate experiences nothing like I do and we tried being on every configuration between 2.4ghz and 5ghz. My current place of residency won't allow an ethernet wire spanning 1 floor down to the modem so, at the mercy of WiFi.

Now anything past the modem, including my computer, I'm not an expert at. This is where I beg for help ;__;

I have a basic understanding of windows so my first thought was Drivers, I tried to uninstall my network card driver and my computer froze....weird so I keep trying and it doesn't work
so I eventually do the tedious windows 8 safe mode and got in uninstalled. Then I tried my onboard network adapter and to no avail, same issue. Reinstalled my original network card
drivers and the issue continued. Changed my ip to static incase my roomates computer and mine were clashing, didn't think so since nothing between our computers have had changed in several months.

I thought perhaps it's a virus imitating a router drop so I ran malwarebytes in addition to ccleaner. I'm usually apt on noticing suspicious files.

Appears to happen more often when I am playing a game online such as Overwatch as compared to say, just watching a video or live stream. But it happens both ways.
Not too sure what to show you guys other than screen-capping ping tests.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is my rig; Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake
                           ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboard
                           G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2x4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 
                           Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD 
                           TP-LINK N900 2.4GHz or 5GHz up to 450Mbps Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter 
                           Asus GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11gb Turbo
                           1 tb Hard drive
                           2 Displays
                           Usually have a phone or 2 plugged into my USB ports
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Programs that are usually open; Steam
                                                    Chrome
                                                    Discord
                                                    Blizzard game launcher
                                                    Plays.tv - records gameplay in the backround
                                                    Flux - darkens screen
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So here I'll post some screen-caps of said ping tests that I run pretty much all the time now. (disconnected 2 times as I was writing this up lol )

These were taken in a 45 minute span
#1Attached File  ping1.png   76.69KB   0 downloads
#2Attached File  ping2.png   181.03KB   0 downloads

#3Attached File  ping 3.png   901.36KB   0 downloads

#4Attached File  ping 4.png   121.73KB   0 downloads I was changing from the 5ghz band to 2.4ghz so that probly makes sense about the general failure and unable to reach host.

#5Attached File  ping-7.gif   150.86KB   0 downloads

If anyone needs me I will monitor this thread like every 5 minutes, I have off of work for Monday.

Thanks for reading thus far and if you can help or not I appreciate the read. 

Edit 1: text on image 4
Edit 2: Included additional Hard drive

Edited by Brawns, 17 April 2017 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:55 AM

Have you tried using a little good usb wireless adapter to see if same thing happens?

Then you would know if it was your card which wasn't up to the task.

#3 Brawns

Brawns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:05 AM

Have you tried using a little good usb wireless adapter to see if same thing happens?

Then you would know if it was your card which wasn't up to the task.

Yes I have tried my roomates USB dongle adaptor, same issue.
My network card has been fine for months, do adaptors go bad?
Still, i have my on-board WiFi that it also continues

Yet all 3 I still have a WiFi connection when it occurs, just anything that was connected to the internet becomes unresponsive and I have to close it with task manager. For this reason I believe it is not hardware in question
but that's why I am here to dispell of my naivety.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

When you tried you roommate's dongle did you remove the dedicated wireless card?

Edited by dc3, 17 April 2017 - 11:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Brawns

Brawns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

When you tried you roommate's dongle did you remove the dedicated wireless card?

No, I will try this for today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users