Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there no alternative to Driver Booster?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheBleepingIdiots

TheBleepingIdiots

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

Hi.

Driver Booster sells information about you to third-parties, and other software are either adware, bundleware or requires purchase, even though they claim to have a free version - except you can't do anything.

Is there really no alternative? Or is there an other way? 

I have a HP Notebook - for your information.

Sincerely.

Edited by TheBleepingIdiots, 16 April 2017 - 05:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

I have a couple of similar utilities which I use to alert me, however, no auto-updating ever.  If something is needed, then I do go out and get the driver(s) from original source(s).  I think File Hippo, naming just one of many, still has something that sniffs out both programs and drivers, however, again, use only as an alert, I do not recommend any auto-updating.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 April 2017 - 05:49 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:53 PM

To expand on what Roland said. Driver updater software is not needed because drivers do not need updating in the same way that your OS and some applications require.

So long as your hardware is working without problems your drivers do not need to be updated, and if some hardware component in your system suddenly develops problems then the best place to go for or updated drivers is either the manufacturer of the hardware or the computer manufacturer's web-site.

Older drivers do not pose a security risk unlike, for example, an old browser version, copy of the Adobe reader or the Flash player. As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 April 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#4 TheBleepingIdiots

TheBleepingIdiots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:13 AM

Ah, okay - i just like the eazyness about it. So why is it like that?

#5 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

Because to provide you the software for "free" they monetise it in other ways.

Usually, this means selling you out to third parties (who will then aggressively market their wares to you) or bundling unwanted extras to serve you advertising and turn your computer into their advertising medium.

As a general rule, if I see a program that has words like "boost" or "optimise" (or any variant thereof) in their names or descriptions, I avoid like the plague.  The ONLY exception is Ccleaner which calls itself an optimiser but is worth having around.

Another trick often pulled by driver update programs is to scan your system and then tell you that you have some 50,000 drivers that need updating.  Click here to update!!!  So you do .... and get greeted by a paywall  :devil:

EDIT: Another thought about constant driver updates.  The version they want you to update to, the latest and greatest version, is supposed to fix all your problems.

The version you currently have was once the latest and greatest, and was the recommended go-to version.

So you update to the current L&G version which invariably contains stability patches, bugfixes, improvements and new features.

Guess what?  These code changes can also contain bugs, memory leaks, etc.

So now you have a version that leaks memory in other ways to what your old one did.  It's just that nobody has discovered them yet, and they didn't come out in testing.

The fix?

Wait for it .....

...For a few months ...

...Another new version!!  Update to the L&G version to get the latest stability patches, bugfixes, improvements and new features!

And so on.

Ad nauseam.

I'm not saying hat you should stay on prehistoric drivers, just that the latest versions may not be all they are cracked up to be.

Because of this, I'll typically wait until they appear as part of a regular Windows Update and deploy them that way.

Edited by Angoid, 20 April 2017 - 11:14 AM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

"...Because of this, I'll typically wait until they appear as part of a regular Windows Update and deploy them that way..."

+1 Angoid!  And, I won't even pay much attention to WU's drivers notices -- as you strongly implied in your informative post:

"if it is not broken, do not fix it".

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 TheBleepingIdiots

TheBleepingIdiots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Okay, i get it.

Where is it possible to manually update drivers, if needed?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Okay, i get it.   Where is it possible to manually update drivers, if needed?

Excellent followup question; from the manufacturers' web sites as per internal items in/on computer's motherboard and external items that shipped with your computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users