Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overkill PSU ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abcaj

abcaj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

For a build estimated for 100-410 W, would a 750W (SeaSonic) PSU be overkill. Are there any major disadvantages to it ? Too low efficiency on idle ?

The reason I consider it over the 650W variant is basically the available cable-connections.
Also, if going SLI in future, I suppose a 650W is only just-enough, making the 750W preferable ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

No disadvantage really.  PSU efficiency is said to be a bell curve but in a modern, well designed high efficiency PSU it's a very flat one...  For example in the Seasonic Prime 750w, efficiency at 10% load is in the order of 93%, which is exceptional.  It still shows minimum 91% efficiency at 100% load.  It only drops to around 80% under "standby" loads of just a few watts. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=481

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 abcaj

abcaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

No disadvantage really.  PSU efficiency is said to be a bell curve but in a modern, well designed high efficiency PSU it's a very flat one...  For example in the Seasonic Prime 750w, efficiency at 10% load is in the order of 93%, which is exceptional.  It still shows minimum 91% efficiency at 100% load.  It only drops to around 80% under "standby" loads of just a few watts. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=481

I was considering the Prime 750W exactly. Reading user reviews (amazon and newegg) for several of these high-end well-reviewed (jonnyguru, techpowerup,...) PSUs, it seems that a lot of people are unfortunate with dead/failing units, and even a few with a failure causing other component failure. Is it something to be concerned about ? Or is that exaggerated ?

Edited by abcaj, 16 April 2017 - 06:43 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

Who's to tell. I doubt anyone (bar probably the manufacturer) keeps stats. How many of the failures are due to installation error vs manufacturing defects? Again we don't really know..  Many times I've seen people giving angry "1 star" reviews just because THEY bought the wrong item, or they screwed up the installation...

I've personally had two PSU's "blow" over the years, a Tagan @ 2 yrs old (don't think they are sold any more - replaced under warranty) and an OCZ @ 5 yrs old. Neither caused any other damage so was lucky on that front.  The Tagan went with quite a bang and white flash too.. I'm currently using an XFX made by Seasonic and am happy with it.

The better reviewers generally know what they are talking about and can tell when workmanship is good vs poor, or cheaper cost saving components used (or thankfully an uncommon occurence now) where the PSU design is flawed and unsafe electrically.  I'd have no hesitation about buying a Seasonic and the long warranty is there if there is a problem.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users