Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can You Install Windows Inside Of Linux (suse-10)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thing

thing

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

How can you install Windows XP SP 2 Professional inside of Linux (SUSE-10)?
Does anyone know how, I heard it can be done.

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

yes, it can be done. It's long and a huge pain in the butt. The problem you have mainly...is Windows boot manager will erase your (Grub or Lilo...I can't remember which suse uses) linux bootmanager. Which means you have to reinstall it afterwards. I did it once...about a year ago (no SP's) and it took me days to sort out what windows screwed up. You're easiest bet...and I honestly hate to say it...Is install windows, use a suse live cd to make sure your file system is still in tact, then reinstall your boot loader and make sure it detects both XP and Suse...

BTW, why would you want too?
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

you could do it by installing and using vmware.

#4 Storm Rider

Storm Rider

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:57 AM

Like acidburned said. VmWare is easy to use and will let you set up XP from within Linux. VmWare will give you a 30 day trial of their workstation. You need the workstation to create what is called an appliance (XP within Suse). After the 30 day trial, you can still use the VMware Player which is free. You'll still be able to use your XP appliance.

A couple notes. Once you've installed VMWare you'll have to run VMware-config. You might as well goggle and install the "any-any-update" before you run the config. Also, make sure you use YaST to install the kernel sources files before installing VMware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users