Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

networking with Mixed OS, not MAC but XP, Win7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 patappleson

patappleson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hi,

I've always found it trick to setup a network.  Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm running three Lenovo Think Stations running Windows 7 pro, one Supermicro board, running Win 7 Ultimate, and three Supermicro boards running, Win XP.  All with the latest service packs.

I'm running a cable Modem: Arris TM1602 from Charter, into a Cisco/Linksys E2500 modem.  The wireless part is turned off and just one I/O port is used.  It goes to a Netgear, Smart Switch, Model # GS724Tv4-400NAS - ProSAFE 24 Port Gigabit Switch.

Running everything DHCP,  Everything works very well.

EXCEPT: I can't get the machines to see the one on my desktop.  An Lenovo.  The problem is naming the network.  Before we went from a dumb Hub to a smart switch, there was no problem.  I want to name it NETWORK and WORKGROUP, not home group or Public network that always pops up.  Also in Network Sharing Center, it says: Network/Public Network on the Lenovo on my desk.  The others have, at any given time: Network 2, Network 7, etc.  I didn't name these guys!

Also, in Win Explorer, where you have the normal name +NETWORK or +My Network Places, then , +Entire Network, then three other sub directories appear: 

Microsoft Terminal Services,

Microsoft Windows Network

Web Client Network.

Usually, I get all three and poke Win Network to reveal all the other computers.  But on my Lenovo on my desk, I get only NETWORK, then the name of my Lenovo.  Nothing else.

Is there a file I can make with the correct setup to carry and load into each computer? Like a few years back with a floppy?  Keeping in mind the different versions of Windows?  I also can't get access on of the other Win7 machines.

After reading other threads, I've run and attached a MTB file.Attached File  MTB.txt   27.98KB   1 downloads

Thanks in advance for your help.

pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:39 AM

The others have, at any given time: Network 2, Network 7, etc. I didn't name these guys!

I would not worry to much about this. This is just the function of when Windows detects what it perceives as a new network connection (which can result just from the DHCP of your router giving that computer a new IP address) thinking it is connecting to a new network as asking how your want the built-in firewall functions to treat that network...i.e. essentially as a trusted network where outside connections from other devices on the network are trusted (in the pop-up window this would be a "home" network) or a non-trusted network where you want to block connections from other devices on the network (i.e. a public network at say a Starbucks, etc). The name really does not mean much from my experience. The key is that you will want a private (aka "home") network selected so that it trusts other devices on the network if you want to share stuff from computer to computer across the network.

The Workgroup, OTOH, does play into working with local area Windows networks. I will honest that there are still things that trip me up with Windows networking protocol even with very simple home networks. The things I have learned are 1) you want all computers to use the same Workgroup, which will not be the case by default if you have some Windows XP and some Windows 7 computers if memory serves...Microsoft at times has changed the default Workgroup name as Windows versions changed; and 2) ideally you want your accounts on all the computers to have the same login ID and password. And even with this, I have found that connecting to other computers on a Windows network using Windows Network protocol can still seemingly be hit or miss. As a result, I usually don't both anymore with Windows sharing and have a NAS (network attached storage...essentially a server) that all the devices can connect to and just keep any files I want shared on the NAS. It tends to save me from frustration.

#3 patappleson

patappleson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hi Smax,

Thank you for the info.  I'll read it again and give a shot to having all computers use the same user name and pass word.

I thought it had something to do with new versions of window.  In a few months I'll up grade everything.  Probably to Win7. Two reasons, I'm getting to know my way around it pretty well and

I don't like to go with the latest, because we're always having driver problems.  We're in the Video and audio production biz.

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again!

pat www.appleson.com

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

I thought it had something to do with new versions of window.

In my (limited) experience with Windows Networking, it seems one tends to encounter more issue when mixing Windows versions. So, at least in my experience, you are not off the mark with that thought.

But, then while I had better luck sharing files between multiple Windows XP computer (for example), I would still have a few occasions where one Windows XP computer would still not show up.

So, as I kind hinted at, I have not come close to fully cracking the mysteries of Windows Network protocol.

In a few months I'll up grade everything.  Probably to Win7. Two reasons, I'm getting to know my way around it pretty well and
I don't like to go with the latest, because we're always having driver problems.  We're in the Video and audio production biz.
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks again!
pat www.appleson.com

I am also usually slow to update to the "latest and greatest" at minimum because I don't like to be Apple's or Microsoft's beta testers (they both seem to be a little more light on quality control testing these days...likely due to their "need" to do yearly or so major upgrades to their OSs...something while I don't need). I am also slow so that I can see how new features might upset my workflow. Prime examples of this latter reason are 1) the whole switch to the "ribbon" interface that Microsoft did with the Windows versions of Office (fortunately, the Mac versions still have menus); and 2) the "optimized storage" and iCloud syncing of certain folders on Macs in Sierra that apparently has turned on without users permission on occasion due to "issues" with some Sierra 10.12.x updates (I DO NOT want that feature turned on, so I have yet to upgrade to Sierra until I am confident Apple will not hose me).

Having said that, it would be a really good idea to update your Windows XP computers since they no longer get security updates from Microsoft and Microsoft has dramatically improved the included security & "locked down-ness" of Windows 7 and even more with Windows 10. While I am personally still hesitant about Windows 10 due to Microsoft including some privacy invading features and advertisement type BS and its kind of forces updates, I would at least suggest Windows 7.

#5 patappleson

patappleson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hi,

Yes, I feel your pain on both XP and Win10.  I'm going to speed up the OS systems replacement on my last two computers running XP.  We had a long good run with them.  And I'll be changing them both out to something nastier like I'm using in the rest of the computers.  Dual Xeon V-6's or V-8's and 32 gigs of RAM with either Seagate Hybrid C: drives or a SSD, if I can find one that won't slow down six months in. (grin). I'm using the Seagate Hybrid drives in most of my computers and a few businesses where I'm the IT guy/vendor & Fix it guy. (it's not what I do for a living)

I've taken your advice and hit a few buttons in Win 7 and got everything working and showing up on the screen.  So, I appreciate your help.

And, it's also nice to know, I'm not seeing things, other people are having the same problems.

Cheers

Pat

www.appleson.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users