Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Bug Or Virus

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sallyb

sallyb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

I am using a windows98(se) on an desktop and connecting via dial-up(56kmodem).

Two problem(dont know if they are related: When I first connect to ISP it states below "unable to find server". But ,at that point, it does connect anyway...but the juno home page is not there. However, when I press "refresh" the juno home page does finally appear.

I am ,then, able to use the computer and go to "favorites" (bookmark) where I select a site I wish to visit. The site comes up as usual. But within short time it fails to work when I click to go the various sections of that site. Also, after that first selected "favorite" it will no longer pull up any more sites. At that time, I must click on MSN site from desktop icon, and can use address entries there to get to other sites. Strange thing is when I got to "bleeping computer" I have been able to click on different parts of this site with no problem.

PS: I have already ran win 98 se disk to try to fix problem....no help.

Anyone have any other solutions???Thanks, Sally.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:21 AM

I feel like an orphan. Is there not anyone who might offer me advice on my post? Should I download to that"take this"(or whatever the name is of that registry transfer for analysis)?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

just trying to help as I don't remember 98 so well.
1) Have you run your Antivirus/spyware apps/ If so what happened.
2)When you get to the Juno page,try in the Tools menu, go to Internet Options. The following buttons may be unavailable:
Use Current
Use Default
Use Blank
Try use current. Or you may have to copy/paste or type the Address in the address bar when you are at the Juno page.
Click Apply ,click OK.
restart

let us know
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:20 AM

I have done the usual things. (1)ran adaware and spybot to rid myself of various critters(2)ran scan disc,(3)ran repair for IE6 in the add/remove of control panel. Nothing else that I can think of.

It just wont let click and pull up a site most of the time. It also doesnt let me work with PDF most of the time. Just refuses to allow me the operate on normal basis.

Im not computer smart enought to go through registry and delete what shouldnt be there.

Oh well, as usual I end up having to take it back to the computer shop for work....just hate to pay$90 every time he works on it. But then ,I hope someone here will have an answer before I do that.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

You may have a DNS issue. Try to reset you Rcache.
Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /flushdns
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

Also, try to clear your cache...

Open up Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu and then Internet Options. At the General tab, which should be the first tab you are currently on, click on the Delete Files button and put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button. This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes. When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.
JC

#7 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:29 AM

Acklan:when I place "cmd" in run, it doesnt do anything; dont know what IP config is' or "flushdns"??

Joshua: I run ccleaner often to eliminate temp files and other congestion.

Any other ideas?? Ah, the mysteries of a computer. Thanks for you guys suggestions.

#8 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

Acklan:when I place "cmd" in run, it doesnt do anything; dont know what IP config is' or "flushdns"??

Joshua: I run ccleaner often to eliminate temp files and other congestion.

Any other ideas?? Ah, the mysteries of a computer. Thanks for you guys suggestions.

#9 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:58 AM

Hey sallyb,

for ipconfig look here:
http://www.chicagotech.net/ipconfig.htm#Using%20ipconfig%20/all%20or%20winipcfg

As for the cmd, try command.

rgds,

Yourhighness

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:49 AM

You can read up on ipconfig and the switches that control it here.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:05 AM

Here's one of the support articles from the Juno website that may help:

Common Browser Errors / Solutions

The index of errors are found below:

Common Errors / Solutions - Juno 5.0 and lower
JC

#12 sallyb

sallyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:51 AM

Lot of good advice guys. Unfortunately, much of this requires an advanced computer savy person.

I did run IPCONFIG, it flashed a dark box but wouldnt stay up. I then went to "find files" and inserted IPCONFIG. Got a big list of items. It had an "application" file for IPCONIG but when I clicked it again only flashed and disappeared. But I clicked on other things there. When I clicked the application file "WINIPCFG it did bring up a format of information: 1.adapter address2. IP address 3. subnet mask 4. default gateway 5. dhcp server. Dont know what good it is to know this stuff?

Also, found an ad on that page of complex issues that said free to get rid of bugs (PC BUG DOCTOR). downloaded it and it stated it found 4 bugs...and fixed same. Next, I tried to go to your other suggested sites to read the info. BUT NOW THE PROBLEM IS NOT JUST NOT CLICKING IN VAIN WITH NO RESPONSE...IT NOW GIVES ME A COLORED BOX THAT SAYS "POP-UP" ACCOMPANIED BY A TONE. Whats that all about.

I suppose Im at a point of taking computer back to the repair guy. Damn ,he is making a good living off me these last few years.

But Im still all ears for further instructions. thanks ,Sally

PS:When I did go to that format with all the info about my computer, I clicked on "release" and "renew". It didnt react to any such clicks.

Edited by sallyb, 12 September 2006 - 02:54 AM.

#13 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

Good job. You found out the IP configuration command in 98-2 is winipcfg.

With respect to all the other answers, why don't you call/email Juno tech support. This may be an ISP problem. Possibly why you can't renew your IPA is you may have a static addy.

Your comment about how everything is working okay, but then you can't "go to the various sections of the site" could be an ISP timeout...you've been idle for a while and disconnected.

Your comment on not having this problem here suggests (to me)you are either more active or quicker here and not being timed out or you have problem with your ISP (and homepage) and not your connection.

Dialup is slow at the best times and possibly the reason for needing to refresh to get your homepage.

HTH

rd

#14 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

Have you contacted your ISP yet, to see if the problem is at there end.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users