Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 will not start.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 oxojohn

oxojohn

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

Windows 10 will not start, I have a program called Kerish Doctor that I have been using for many months without any problems that I purchased after reading recommendations for keeping the computer running smoothly, a few days ago my Malwarebytes program ceased to work, and every time I installed it again, after a few hours the same thing happened, so having purchased a lifelong licence for it I needed to sort the problem out, Kerish Doctor is always popping up telling me of the various problems it's sorted out, so I turned it off and installed Malwarebytes again and it continued to run OK after this, so foolishly I restarted Kerish Doctor and rolled back the option of any changes that it had done to see if I could now run both programs together.

Since then the computer will not boot up unless I use the rescue disk that I made some time ago, without that it goes to the boot order and then to the little blue window with the circle of dots going around and around, then the little dots vanish leaving just the blue window showing and its stays like that!

Any help would be much appreciated.

John.

Edit, I forgot to say that after I managed to boot up using the rescue disk I uninstalled Kerish Doctor, and because Malwarebytes was now not working again, I decided to uninstall Malwarebytes but it will not allow me to do so, I get a pop-up saying, (unable to connect to service)

Edited by oxojohn, 16 April 2017 - 10:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Reinstall Windows 10.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

Are you able to use the rescue disc to do a repair?

If you are unable to open the rescue disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical drive or USB device (depending on what type of media you are using) so that it is the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd is the second device.

Kerish Doctor is optimization software with a registry cleaner.  I would suggest leaving this uninstalled for reasons explained below.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

If you are unable to open the rescue disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical drive or USB device (depending on what type of media you are using) so that it is the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd is the second device.

Kerish Doctor is optimization software with a registry cleaner.  I would suggest leaving this uninstalled for reasons explained below.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

Reinstall Windows 10.

Reinstalling the operating system is the last option you want to use.  There are many other options which can resolve this type of problem without losing all of the OP's personal files.

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

Many people are so Ignorant about computers, the best way is to reinstall.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Many people are so Ignorant about computers, the best way is to reinstall.

That is why they come to Bleeping Computer where there are members like myself who are willing to take the time to walk the computer literacy challenged through the steps needed to repair their computer.  From you remark I get the impression that you do not have the patience for this.

While I'm on the soap box... some of the solutions offered are much easier to do than reinstalling the operating system.

#8 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Reinstall Windows 10.

I must admit I am not very savvy, I did a back up with window 10 program but its saying files are corrupted and I have many programs like Photoshop etc that I will lose, so I am looking for a way out if possible without doing a reinstall.

Thanks for the advice.

#9 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

Hello, Arachibutyrophobia.

I have managed to get to "repair Computer"  unfortunately after going through the process it comes up, (unable to do a repair)  

Edited by oxojohn, 16 April 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Is it possible for you to select System Restore instead of repair computer to a time the computer was booting up?

#11 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hello, cmptrgy,

I did think of that because I have used that in the past, but when I finally found it, there wasn't any restore points available, even though I remember Kerish Doctor did a restore point before I rolled back to an earlier time.

It was certainly Kerish Doctor that was knocking out Malwarebytes because I have downloaded it after booting up with the rescue disk and it's now running normally.

#12 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:24 AM

Just a thought, I have a laptop with Windows 10, is it possible to do a copy of that which is working fine and insert it into my desktop computer, then discard the original.

Edited by oxojohn, 17 April 2017 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users