Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sign-in Options suddenly missing from login screen...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oxonsi

Oxonsi

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:39 AM

The "Sign-in Options" link is suddenly missing from my Windows 10 login screen.  I had it defaulted to sign-in with PIN.  Now it has reverted to signing in with a password without the option to change back to PIN.

Under Settings, Accounts -> Sign-in options, I now see the option to "Add" a PIN [instead of "Change" and "I forgot my PIN"], as if I had never set a PIN.  If I click on "Add", I am allowed to add a PIN after entering my password.  However, it appears the PIN is immediately forgotten by Windows because even after I've finished, it still shows only "Add" under the PIN section of Accounts -> Sign-in options.  And if I logout, the login screen is still without "Sign-in options" under my name.

Running sfc /scannow showed no integrity violations found.

The last changes I had made to the OS were disabling some non-essential Services...  I don't think that could be related to this issue, but let me know if there is a Windows Service on which the "Sign-in Options" depends.

Otherwise, let me know of any other way I might fix this.  I liked the ability to sign-in with a PIN.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

Oxonsi:

I had the same thing happen to me on one of my computers (Dell laptop) and I could find no easy solution.  Since it occurred after a Windows update in February, I presumed MS would fix it in a future update.  The "Sign In Options" reappeared a few days after the March updates and a cold boot or two.  Go figure!

My main tower was never affected, so I conclude that it only affects some computer configurations.  Both of my computers were upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 via clean install.

I would check your Windows 10 update history and make sure your updates are current.  I had some issues with the March updates getting one of them to install.  MS has not yet rolled out the Creator's Update to me (old computers), so I am still on Build 1607.

Good luck.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for your reply.

In my case, this problem arose on a new, clean install of the Creator's Update, version 1703, build 15063.138.  But the issue is not part of the Creator's Update because "Sign-in options" was appearing on the login screen for a while, before it mysteriously disappeared.

I'm not sure if there were a few other updates that might have broken it.  I did disable some Services, but I doubt I that is related to this issue.  I have another Windows 10 installation on which I disabled the same Services, and I'm still able to login with PIN on that machine.

I guess I'll have to settle for using a password to login for now on this new Windows 10 installation.  Hopefully the option to use a PIN will return at some point.  It doesn't seem like a serious enough problem to trash the entire OS, and start over with a clean install of 10 again.

Thanks again :guitar:

#4 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

Oxonsi:

Thank you for your post.  I hope that your sign-in options reappear, as they did on one of my two computers.  I prefer the PIN login method to the password.  For some reason, my other computer never "lost" the sign-in options.

Just a random thought - perhaps the "Sign In Options" message is just not displaying on the screen.  Did you just try clicking in that area below the password box to see if anything happens ... ?

As I said, just a random thought!

Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#5 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I discovered the solution in my case:  it was related to the CNG Key Isolation Service (KeyIso).  I disabled it, but it is required for PIN-login.  And I was mistaken in my previous post:  I actually did NOT disable that Service on my other machine, which is why the PIN-login always worked there.

I like disabling non-essential services.  But one does need to be careful.  From the description of the service I did not guess that it was related to anything for which I'm using my machine.  But with the benefit of hindsight, it now makes sense that the CNG Key Isolation Service may cause PIN-login to fail.

Description:  "The CNG key isolation service is hosted in the LSA process. The service provides key process isolation to private keys and associated cryptographic operations as required by the Common Criteria. The service stores and uses long-lived keys in a secure process complying with Common Criteria requirements."

I hope this info may be helpful to someone else.

Edited by Oxonsi, 17 April 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#6 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Oxonsi:

Thank you for your update.  I am glad that you solved your problem.  Since I don't disable Windows services, I guess that your "find" does not explain what happened to one of my two computers, unless a Windows update "borked" that service.  Since it is working again, I will never know.

Thank you for sharing your solution.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#7 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for your kind words.  Yes, I realize my solution probably won't help everyone with this issue...  It was interesting to me in that I didn't think a Service could be involved with the disappearance of "Sign-in options".  Live and learn I guess.

And thanks again for taking the time to help.

-M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users