Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sd card reader won't show up

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew87

Andrew87

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

Hi, i've been dealing with this issue for the past 6 hours and this is a last resort.

After looking through countless threads, trying everything, from comand prompts and typing finddisk and seeing nothing, opening disk management and only seeing the local disk, putting it in different usb ports, restarting about 7 times hoping everything i changed made a difference, and it didn't.

Whenever i try to disconnect it, enable/disable it, uninstall it, update it, start/restart the computer while it's connected, it hangs and never finishes.

The red light is on when i plug it in, the sd card is from my camera and i can see the videos on there just fine. Sad thing is it worked this morning, had two folders of videos, the first batch was fine but when i tried to moved the last group, it stopped half way through transfer and it hasn't worked since.

I wouldn't mind buying a new sd card reader if that was the problem, but given it still lights up makes me think it can work if i knew what i was doing. Some ports it shows the disconnect thing and i try to disconnect and shows no message, when i disconnect it anyway it then tells me that it was busy with something, even if i just switched the computer on and with nothing open. There is the rare case when i do uninstall it, i unplug and put it back in and it tries to install it, only to fail, it also sometimes doesn't show the disconnect notification and it's just labaled as a usb drive.

Other cases it would show up under portable devices on the device manager as "F:/" but has a triangle, i troubleshoot it, only to say that it has problems and offers no solution, when i trouble shoot it without the triangle, it doesn't even detect the reader and sees no problem, in devices and printers, it shows up as disk drive or USB2.0-CRW.

Which generic usb ports are the front ones of the tower, maybe if i try disabling them it mgiht do something, the disk drive in attachment is supposed to be the reader.

Attached Files

Edited by Andrew87, 16 April 2017 - 08:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

Have you tried attaching this SD card to another computer?

If another computer is not available download devicecleanupcmd here. Remove the reader if it's USB.

Unzip the file to your desktop. In the unzipped folder is an X64 folder. Move this to the root of the C: drive if you have 64bit Windows.

Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the search box Right Click > Run As Administrator. At the prompt type

cd c:\x64  <enter>

At the prompt type

devicecleanupcmd *  <enter>

This will create a restore point then remove all non-present devices. After it finishes reboot and see if your SD card is not detected in the reader. Sometimes drivers loaded in the USB ports can conflict.

If devicecleanup does not work the there is another utility called Testdisk for Windows that can hopefully copy the files from the SD card

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 April 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

You are talking about a card that inserts to a card reader port. ?

Like a camera card ?

I have a camera with a tiny card which fits into a card port.

You said something about putting it into a USB port & not a card port.

I smoke.

I had to insert my card 3 or 4 times to get the computer to recognize it.

Tar buildup on the connections.

See picture---

screenshot_394.jpg

Edited by medab1, 15 April 2017 - 08:17 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 VirajT

VirajT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

1. You said it's an SD Card Reader connected, most PC and Laptops have SD card compatibility so try inserting/connecting it directly instead of the reader. 

2. If you still want to use the reader make sure it's clean connections, blow into it clear the dust and try again

#5 Andrew87

Andrew87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:13 AM

For the first reply, when you say the root, you just mean double clicking the local disk and placing the exe there right? As for the command prompt, mine says c:\windows\system32, do i start typing in cd c:\ etc or should it start as that? Well i typed that and the next line says "the system cannot find the path specified" also hat do i do with that new exe?

2nd reply, i have no clue what any of that is, i guess i have an old fashioned PC because it doesn't have any built-in card reader, i use:
$_58.JPG

3rd reply, again, no built-in reader, and i admit the usb side of th ereader is a bit murky, i've cleaned it since then with wet cotton buds and made no difference, also blowed down the hole of the sd card holder.

Edited by Andrew87, 16 April 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

At C:\Windows\System32 type

cd c:\x64

this assumes you have the X64 folder in C:\ when you double click C:\ in Computer.

I'm not sure why that did not work for you. If it still fails type

cd..
cd..
cd X64

#7 Andrew87

Andrew87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

This is what shows up (attachment) and the reader is currently plugged in when i typed this in.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cmd.png   11.33KB   0 downloads

Edited by Andrew87, 16 April 2017 - 08:25 AM.

#8 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

Use "cd .." (notice the space between cd and the dots)

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

Firstly, you do not want the USB reader attached. Secondly you have three periods after the first CD command. When running the devicecleanupcmd do not attach your reader.

In the above image do the cd.. command again then cd x64

#10 Andrew87

Andrew87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

Like this? I've never needed to use cmd before, if this is wrong then..i don't know..i unplugged the reader before typing this in.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cmd2.png   10.03KB   0 downloads

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

You are back to C:\Windows. In the above image you need to type the command cd .. again to get C:\. At C:\ type cd x64.

In other words if you are at 

C:\Windows\System32

these are the commands you type with the USB reader not attached.

cd ..
cd ..
cd x64
devicecleanupcmd *

This will create a restore point then delete all non-present devices.

#12 Andrew87

Andrew87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

I did as you say, sorry if i keep missing a step, also is the exe in the right place?

Attached Files

• Attached File  cmd3.png   11.74KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  exe.png   39.39KB   0 downloads

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

Did you copy X64 into the root of C: ? It does not look like it. From the unzipped folder of Devicecleanupcmd copy X64 to C:\

#14 Andrew87

Andrew87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

Apologies, i just now installed devicecleanup exe from the first reply, downloaded something else off the site.

Attached Files

Edited by Andrew87, 16 April 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

You do not want devicecleanup.exe you want to download the zip file devicecleanupcmd. Unzip the file and copy the X64 folder to C:

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/devicecleanupcmd.zip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users