Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High-performance quiet build - parts recommendations

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 abcaj

abcaj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

I am trying to create a high-performance build, capable of both cpu-intensive tasks and gaming (including Virtual Reality).
At the same time I focus on quality components, and trying to keep the system relatively quiet and flexible.
I don't intend to overclock, but like to have the opportunity later on. So in regards to thermal performance, don't think overclocking.

Also: I am already determined on Intel + Nvidia.

Just to let you know - first pc build ever, but know quite a bit about electronics and software.

Intended build:

• Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core
  • Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler
  • Arctic MX4 Thermal Paste
  • Asus Maximus IX Code ATX Motherboard (Z270)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
  • Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X
  • Cooler Master MasterCase Maker 5 ATX Mid Tower
  • 3x be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 140mm Case Fan (1000 RPM)
  • SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular (SS660XP2)
  • Pioneer BDR-S09XLT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
  • ASUS TPM-M R2.0 module

Estimated power consumption 98-407W.

Have I forgotten any important components (major and minor) ?
What is your opinion about this build? Keep in mind that I focus on high quality components, rather than price. I am more interested in comments about the components than keeping cost down.
One specific question: Is the PSU sufficient ? Would it even be capable of SLI in future, or would that be too much (estimated 180W extra).

Below follows some comments about my choices (don't read it all, but please check before commenting on specific components)

• CPU: K-version, slightly higher stock-clock, and opportunity of light overclocking later. I prefer Intel over AMD.
  • CPU Cooler: Balance between size, look, performance and noise. I know it's not the best for huge overclocking, but again, not in focus.
  • Motherboard: Maximus for quality components, IX Code to include wifi.
  • Memory: 2400, as limited by CPU.
  • GFX: MSI seem to have slightly lower noise levels. Gaming X for the middle-variant of clock-speeds (price-to-performance). I prefer Nvidia over AMD.
  • Case: Seems to be a very flexible and high-quality case, that should be easy to handle for a first-build.
  • Case Fans: Reviews say stock coolers of the case are not that quiet.
  • PSU: SeaSonic for high-quality. Great reviews. 660W is the lowest, but seem ok, even though it might be slightly on the high-level. Maybe capable of SLI if needed (not intended at the moment)
  • Optical Drive: Capable of many formats, and seem to be a recommended brand.
  • TPM: For extra security with bitlocker (I am aware about performance impact).

In advance, thank you for your comments :)

Edited by abcaj, 15 April 2017 - 06:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:09 PM

I would go AMD myself with the new Ryzens out there offering actually good products.

Intel really isnt the end all and be all of CPU's

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:55 AM

It seems all good and it sounds like you've done your research.  The old AMD vs Intel thing has been done to death, and personally I think Ryzen or i7, you're not going to go far wrong :)

My take would be - If going for silent I'd go for the slightly quieter Noctua NH-U12S or even the big NH-15. Not saying anything wrong at all with the H7, but it's not the quietest out there.  Or a bit more leftfield is the Thermalright Macho X2 which uses 2 x 800 rpm max speed 140mm fans in a push/pull arrangement, for very low noise.  I have the single fan version, which is itself very quiet. It's very securely bolted on so the size isn't a concern as long as it fits in your case!

Your PSU should be enough for another GPU to be added in future.  A second GTX1080 will draw about another 200w max. However, if combined with overclocking (on the GPUs and/or CPU) it might be pushing it slightly.  Seasonics are very good. For similar money you should be able to pick up an EVGA 750-P2 which will give a bit more head room. They are made by Superflower who are also very good.

Have you considered M.2. SSD's? The 960 Evo is very very fast, but there's a few slightly less expensive options like the Adata XPG SX8000.  These use a PCIe interface so are not limited by the approx 520 MB/s limit SATA drives are, indeed the Samsung hits read speeds of something like 3000 MB/s.. The SATA drives do the job, and are still much faster than an HDD, but if spending the money, what's a bit more :)  The Adata is reviewed here - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/adata-xpg-sx8000-512gb-pcie-nvme-m2-ssd

The case looks nice. But as you mention you want a quiet system, there are cases that are designed for that specifically. For example the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 is very heavily made, the interior is lined with soundproofing material, yet still has lots of room and does a reasonable job cooling wise.  The included fans are quiet too.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:57 AM

Just to let you know - first pc build ever, but know quite a bit about electronics and software.

Intended build:

• Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler
  • ASUS TPM-M R2.0 module

CPU: Somewhat impossible to recommend any quad core as "high performance" CPU. Also Intel's LGA1151 platform is much worse than AMD's AM4, so if you Really want Intel, go for LGA2011-3 and get at least hexa core. I'd recommend Ryzen as it has simply unbeatable price/performance ratio.

Cooler: OK

Paste: OK

Motherboard: Because LGA1151 platform limitations, that motherboard is overpriced as many features go to waste. Get cheaper motherboard or get better platform (AM4 or LGA2011-3).

Memory: Faster memory is better choice, no matter what platform.

SSD: As jonuk76 said, M.2 SSD is much better choice. I'd also recommend Adata XPG 8000 over Samsung Evo as AData uses MLC while Samsung uses TLC. Also AData should work cooler, Samsung overheats quite quick.

HDD: OK

GPU: Since Vega is coming, buying GTX 1080 is waste of money. Even if you want Nvidia, Vega will cause Nvidia prices drops. You didn't specify monitor.

Other parts are OK.

#5 WagJaffer27

WagJaffer27

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:00 AM

As it appears, he's already got his mind set on the 7700K looking at another forum where he's getting some second opinions.

#6 abcaj

abcaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:09 AM

Intended build:

• Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler
  • ASUS TPM-M R2.0 module

CPU: Somewhat impossible to recommend any quad core as "high performance" CPU. Also Intel's LGA1151 platform is much worse than AMD's AM4, so if you Really want Intel, go for LGA2011-3 and get at least hexa core. I'd recommend Ryzen as it has simply unbeatable price/performance ratio.

Motherboard: Because LGA1151 platform limitations, that motherboard is overpriced as many features go to waste. Get cheaper motherboard or get better platform (AM4 or LGA2011-3).

SSD: As jonuk76 said, M.2 SSD is much better choice. I'd also recommend Adata XPG 8000 over Samsung Evo as AData uses MLC while Samsung uses TLC. Also AData should work cooler, Samsung overheats quite quick.

GPU: Since Vega is coming, buying GTX 1080 is waste of money. Even if you want Nvidia, Vega will cause Nvidia prices drops. You didn't specify monitor.

Other parts are OK.

Thanks for your comments.

CPU: I'll have that in mind. The X99 platform I guess ?

Motherboard: I choose the maximus IX Code for a balance on quality components, features, looks, and integrated wifi. ASUS for its reputation. Do you have any more precise suggestions ?

Memory: But wouldn't the CPU limit it to 2400 anyway ?

SSD: I'll have a look. Just believed the Samsung series to be in the top of the line - maybe they are for SATA? I know MLC is preferred over TLC, but the Pro-version is considerably more expensive, and I suppose, not that much faster really.

Besides the comments on individual components - would the build I sketched be fine (no incompatibilities or such ) ?

#7 abcaj

abcaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:19 AM

It seems all good and it sounds like you've done your research.  The old AMD vs Intel thing has been done to death, and personally I think Ryzen or i7, you're not going to go far wrong :)

My take would be - If going for silent I'd go for the slightly quieter Noctua NH-U12S or even the big NH-15. Not saying anything wrong at all with the H7, but it's not the quietest out there.  Or a bit more leftfield is the Thermalright Macho X2 which uses 2 x 800 rpm max speed 140mm fans in a push/pull arrangement, for very low noise.  I have the single fan version, which is itself very quiet. It's very securely bolted on so the size isn't a concern as long as it fits in your case!

Your PSU should be enough for another GPU to be added in future.  A second GTX1080 will draw about another 200w max. However, if combined with overclocking (on the GPUs and/or CPU) it might be pushing it slightly.  Seasonics are very good. For similar money you should be able to pick up an EVGA 750-P2 which will give a bit more head room. They are made by Superflower who are also very good.

Have you considered M.2. SSD's? The 960 Evo is very very fast, but there's a few slightly less expensive options like the Adata XPG SX8000.  These use a PCIe interface so are not limited by the approx 520 MB/s limit SATA drives are, indeed the Samsung hits read speeds of something like 3000 MB/s.. The SATA drives do the job, and are still much faster than an HDD, but if spending the money, what's a bit more :)  The Adata is reviewed here - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/adata-xpg-sx8000-512gb-pcie-nvme-m2-ssd

The case looks nice. But as you mention you want a quiet system, there are cases that are designed for that specifically. For example the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 is very heavily made, the interior is lined with soundproofing material, yet still has lots of room and does a reasonable job cooling wise.  The included fans are quiet too.

Thank you very much for your detailed comment.

CPU Cooler: Yes, I did consider the Noctua fans, but I just can't stand the color :D . Also, even at the cost of slightly more noise, I'd like a fan that is not too big. The H7 seems to be mid-range in terms of size, and even though not exactly quiet, it's not exactly loud either, based on reviews. Maybe you have other suggestions, but I'd like something a bit smaller than the Thermaltake.

PSU: So would you say that without overclocking, it's enough (660W) for SLI, or should you upgrade to 750 (probably would choose a larger SeaSonic then) ? I find it unlikely that I would go SLI based on the possible disadvantages, and from my understanding, a larger PSU will be inefficient at lower power levels (idle, or at least non-gaming), so I thought the 660W to be a good balance. Agree ?

SSD: I'll have a look. Just believed the Samsung series to be in the top of the line - maybe they are for SATA? I know MLC is preferred over TLC, but the Pro-version is considerably more expensive, and I suppose, not that much faster really.

Case: I did consider several more quiet cases, but find that most of the quiet, noise-dampened cases are very dull-looking (for a reason I guess). From what I could see, the Maker 5 is a nice balance. Nicer looking, easy to work with, and relatively quiet. It does have some noise-dampening materials in the front and top, and since it is not too open, I expect not too much noise (reviews confirmed). Also replacing the fans with SilentWings 3 for less noise. I also read that noise-dampening can cause increased temperatures, thus causing higher fan RPM, thus cancelling the noise dampening effect anyway. The best alternative seemed to be AeroCool DS 200, but some reviews say it can run hot, and be more difficult to work with (limited space). Other suggestions are appreciated.

Do you believe the SilentWings 3 to be good enough in terms of cooling? It runs at slightly lower RPM, although there exists a high speed variant (more noisy of course).

Besides the comments on individual components - would the build I sketched be fine (no incompatibilities or such ) ?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Other parts are OK.

Thanks for your comments.
CPU: I'll have that in mind. The X99 platform I guess ?
Motherboard: I choose the maximus IX Code for a balance on quality components, features, looks, and integrated wifi. ASUS for its reputation. Do you have any more precise suggestions ?
Memory: But wouldn't the CPU limit it to 2400 anyway ?

CPU: x99 platform is not good choice as Intel is readying another high end platform in less than 6 months. So I recommend Ryzen and AM4.
Motherboard: I don't recommend any LGA1151 motherboard because no high performance CPU's available.
Memory: You can clock it higher easily.
SSD: Samsung is not top of the line unless going for most expensive models. I'd take something like Corsair Force MP500.

Your build does not seem to have incompatibilities but component choices are not very good.

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

As it appears, he's already got his mind set on the 7700K looking at another forum where he's getting some second opinions.

Nothing wrong with that. I did it when I was planning a build before as second opinions are always good.

Anyway, the other members have spoken my mind. The build that you sketched should be fine as you probably made it in PCPartPicker which is where I saw your other post. 

PSU wise, the one's suggested here are pretty good. If you want to check pricing in your area, the ones I'd recommend are the EVGA P2's (already suggested by jonuk), SeaSonic Prime and the EVGA G2's and G3's. Any of those will be great and it's just a matter of pricing between those.

And if you don't mind, what was your past experience with AMD? There's nothing wrong with the 7700K as much as Drillingmachine likes to put it down but Ryzen does look to be a lot more promising than it. The older sockets with Intel aren't bad but you may end up sacrificing a little performance (not much as the lack of innovation Intel has done since then is stupifyingly lazy) and potential upgradability. If your previous disliking of AMD is a customer relations thing then fair enough, I'd go with a 7700K but if it's more of a performance issue then Ryzen will be the better than anything you've dealt with in AMD's previous line up.

Edited by Planemaster2, 16 April 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:31 AM

I will assume the alleged perceived 'platform limitations' issue is a not-so-subtle 'jab' at the lack of PCI-e lanes connections to CPU?

That dreaded 'limitation', of where running a pair of GPUs in only 8x + 8X, yet, where Z270 yet still defeats even the OC'd SLI X99 rigs in gaming framerates? 'Limitation' indeed....; current GPUs are not capable of the throughput to even max out a PCI-e (8X) connection yet. To imply a 16X + 16X lanes config would give 'better' performance would seem....questionable, IMO. Pure numbers never tell the true story, if they did, AMD would have been leading for a few years with their 4-5 GHz CPUs....(I'd consider it would be analogous to thinking that a single 5400 RPM drive on a desktop will give much better performance on a SATA3 vs. a SATA2 connection....despite being limited completely by other factors.)

As for X299 release, I hear that has now been bumped up to NLT June...; as to if it will offer better performance than X99 , or X370/B350-based systems remains to be seen...

Depending on prioritization of gaming performance vs. multitasking/encoding performance, the Ryzen 5/7 platform *IS* becoming more interesting by the day, as there are now already a few gaming scenarios where the performance differences between are negligible. 

There are indeed several Z270 mainboard variants that are MASSIVELY overpriced, however; at ;least a few marketing folks must be on proverbial crack to think that someone would pay $450+ for a Z270 board....for zero gain in performance over a 'normal' board. (Admittedly, a 2nd LAN connection is nice, and some people love wireless, but, those 2 functions are hardly $300 worth of extras....and neither is a fancy name or two, like KIller, ELite, Gaming, Fatal1ity, or Maximus, etc...) As good SLI-capable Z270 boards are out there for $165 or less, I'd start there, if choosing Z270. (MSI's Z270 SLI-Plus was highly rated months ago)

As for any imminent AMD GPU releases influencing purhcase decisions....seems as though the rumors/leaks point that the 'soon to be released Rx500/580 cards as being merely rebadged/boosted Rx480s, vice actually seeing the rumored GTX1080Ti-rivaling Vega before 3rd quarter....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users