Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would like opinions on 'pen mice'.....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

Evening, all.

I do a lot of graphic design work; it's been my hobby for over 30-odd years, now.

I use both Photoshop and the GIMP.....along with a small, but very useful photo-editing app called PhotoScape, by Mooi Tech, which I've used ever since it was in beta, back in 2009.

I've always done the 'drawing' part of any design with the mouse; I've never considered my hobby to be worth the outlay of something like a Bamboo graphics tablet, since I only 'mess around' (although I've become rather good at it over the years..!)

I've recently become aware of the existence on the market of things described as 'pen mice'; essentially a mouse, which is shaped like a rather fat pen, and which connects, and works, in exactly the same fashion as a standard wireless optical mouse, operating through the bog-standard USB Plug'n'Play protocol.

Similar to this kind of thing:-

CFK0hKJ.jpg

...although the one I've ordered isn't precisely the same design (but this general type of thing.)

I'm curious as to whether anybody out there has tried one of these gadgets, or has any experience of using one.....and what your opinions of their usefulness (or otherwise!) might be; whether they are, in fact, worth purchasing for the type of use to which I intend to put it.....or not.

And just so's you know, I shan't be using this under Windows, but rather in 'Puppy' Linux.....which shouldn't make any difference, since the Plug'n'Play protocol has been supported under the Linux kernel for a very long time.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

I have not use one of those, but I have used a cheap digitizer/graphics tablet by Wacom years ago. Personally, I could not get past having to look up at the screen while "writing with a pen" down on the desktop. My brain could not handle that disconnect (it is used to seeing the "output" of the "pen" at the tip of the "pen" not at a separate location up on the screen). Of course, in the end, it did not matter much as my artistic ability is mainly limited to drawing stick figures. :grinner:

The one likely advantage of a true digitizer/graphics tablet option would be pressure sensitivity. I suspect that a "pen mouse" will not have that ability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users