Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2008 for Home Use

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 taylorm7cl

taylorm7cl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hello!

I am definitely upset that Microsoft has discontinued Windows Vista support.

That being said, I want to move to a supported operating system. Windows Server 2008 is basically Vista, but for business use. I do not want to move to Windows 7, I do not like 7. With the Shadow Brokers releasing new data of NSA spying tools. I have nothing to hide, but I'd rather not have my data mined by the NSA. Since Windows Server 2008 is still supported by Microsoft for the next three years, I would like to use that to stay on Vista for as long as possible.

Of course with obvious changes being made to the Server operating system to perform more like a home OS, would it be ideal to upgrade to Windows Server 2008 SP2?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

If you really want to then sure, but in order to make it legal you'd still have to purchase a license.  Although, being an older operating system you run the risk of being more exposed to other exploits, and the possibility of ones that are affecting areas of the OS that aren't going to receive updates because mainstream support has been over for awhile.  If you really are worried about the things you'd mentioned above, perhaps you would consider moving over to one of the easier to use Linux distributions that are widely and freely available.  There are many around nowadays that are on par with the simplicity of Windows, albeit the gaming support is quite lacking if that's your forte.  All in all, I would still recommend upgrading to Windows 7 as it appears you are from a Windows background, despite the fears you have.  There are many ways to mitigate the threats that you are faced with, and staying on an older operating system is counterproductive in that regard.

#3 NISHANA

NISHANA

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:41 AM

Hello!

That being said, I want to move to a supported operating system. Windows Server 2008 is basically Vista, but for business use. I do not want to move to Windows 7, I do not like 7. With the Shadow Brokers releasing new data of NSA spying tools. I have nothing to hide, but I'd rather not have my data mined by the NSA. Since Windows Server 2008 is still supported by Microsoft for the next three years, I would like to use that to stay on Vista for as long as possible.

Of course with obvious changes being made to the Server operating system to perform more like a home OS, would it be ideal to upgrade to Windows Server 2008 SP2?

Thanks!

I agree with you i am not completely into windows 7 and would prefer vista over that...

#4 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:46 AM

Why exactly would you prefer Vista to 7?  I'm not arguing or trying to negate anything further than what I stated above, but I am curious as to why Vista?

#5 taylorm7cl

taylorm7cl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

Personally, I do not like Windows 7 because its layout and overall performance. Windows 7 is slower than Vista it seems to me, not to mention the other bugs 7 has to Vista. 7's layout is overall ugly. I know you can adjust the taskbar size and such, but I don't need a large task bar, I don't need an action center that constantly nags me at the smallest things, I don't like the small wi-fi connection window compared to Vista's pop-up window that is more describptive and easier to navigate and get to other options easier. Windows Explorer is a pain to navigate with the "libraries." I have two instances of documents, the library and then the folder, I don't need both and it gets very confusing where I save my stuff on it sometimes. Windows Aero "shake" is incredibly annoying, and so is Aero "peek." I don't need to be able to mouse over a subgroup and see a preview on the desktop of how the window looks. I just need a little thumbnail that's shown when it's moused over. Aero shake is a total pain because you can be moving one window and then it will sometimes recognize that it was shook and then it minimizes all the windows that I wanted up and then I have to reorder them and everything. Programs that have that huge bar will all the actions (just like Windows 8's explorer ribbon) are annoying. I don't need oversized buttons to know where to go, I just want my subgroups and stuff. Examples are programs like MS Paint, MS Word and Excel, Windows Photoviewer...many different programs. Windows Media player 12 is also another pain in the ass. You can only shrink the window so small, you can shrink it all the way like you could with Vista's Media Player 11. I like Vista's "bloatware" (Calendar, Cardspace, Windows DVD Maker, etc.) but 7 completely removes all of it. I had Vista ultimate, so I could only upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate and it wasn't worth the price since Windows 7 ultimate had no extra features like Vista did. I would've rather took Windows 7 Basic to upgrade to if I wanted to. Navigation around the entire operating system is annoying since a lot of the stuff has been moved around, like resolution not even being in the personalization menu, and not being in the right click context menu by default. I can't stand 7 for the some of the same reasons I couldn't stand 8. it's a giant learning curve and Windows 7 was not user friendly. It was difficult and complicated to use and you had to jump through several hoops...at least Windows 8 was more user friendly.

That's just my personal take on it. Not to mention it's basic shell looks ugly compared to Vista.

Edited by taylorm7cl, 20 April 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#6 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

"i prefer windows vista".  WHY BRO WHY?  aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh............

#7 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Hello!

Thanks!

Sure why not.  I heard people even play games with it.  What what??? NSA?  The Nazi Security Advisory?  What what?

Why?  I know.

NSA contractors. (student researchers in Department of Energy projects)  Why the Nazi Security Advisory?  Well internationals know how to get the cool student research Department of Energy projects and they are not always for the United States.. they can be from Romania and just attending a university being a student and they can grab that US student research job.

Edited by GoofProg, 12 June 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#8 Bloodthunder

Bloodthunder

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Honestly, if you've got the PC for it, I'd suggest just upgrading to the latest Win10 or Win7 and running a VM of Vista. If you're worried about NSA or hacking, then the only option you have is to simply not have internet. Let's be honest here, unless if you want to invest huge amounts of time configuring your own IPS with a program like Snort and running VPNs, along with maintaining a custom HOST file & real-time network monitoring, you're going to be vulnerable no matter what OS you choose.

In this case, if you want to have a similar interface to Vista, but with the modern security updates and features, you can just customize your Win7 or 10 with a program like Rainmeter. I've been using Rainmeter for several years, and I love it. The memory/CPU footprint is really small, and some of them are really beautiful and functional.

If none of this interests you, you could always drink the *Nix Kool-Aid and join that club. It would take a little time, but there is nearly unlimited support to customize your interface to be just as you'd like. I suppose it really depends on what features and programs you would like to use.

As for staying with 2008 or Vista, let's not forget that it's a 10 year old OS, and there have been a lot of bugfixes and optimizations since then. Even though I disagree with some of the changes in the newer Windows, I will have to admit that it is much more stable and performs better with less power required.

#9 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:44 PM

You can disable Windows 7+ Aero features. 

Libraries can be modified and/or completely disabled as well.

If you decide to upgrade to Windows 7; be sure to do a fresh install and not the upgrade OS route.

The upgrade doesn't remove all of the core Vista components and causing a major performance issue in Windows 7.

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

I run Win Server 2008 R2 at work. Keep in mind, a lot of 3rd party programs with free versions will not work on the MS server Os's. For instance, Teamviewer free won't run without workarounds, or paying for the Enterprise versions. Not all software is like this but I have run into a lot of them.

#11 YojimboSan

YojimboSan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

You can disable Windows 7+ Aero features. 

Libraries can be modified and/or completely disabled as well.

If you decide to upgrade to Windows 7; be sure to do a fresh install and not the upgrade OS route.

The upgrade doesn't remove all of the core Vista components and causing a major performance issue in Windows 7.

Thanks Nate, this is spot on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users