Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is my computer trying to boot from(and how do i fix it)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

I have a laptop, dell inspion 15 series, that has 3 bootable partitions. One is Windows 7 (main), another is Windows Server 2008 R2 (for replicating problems on a server), and windows 7 setup (didnt feel like usb installing).

Currently, the usb ports have nothing other than a mouse plugged in. It had windows 7 for multiple years and server 2008 for just under a year. While i was gone, the computer turned off. When i got back it was trying to boot from what seemed to be a linux thing. I have absolutely 0 linux partitions in my drive and checked again with partition managers. Right after the boot screen it gives this message:

SYSLinux 4.07 EDD 2013-07-25 Copyright (C) 1994-2013 H. Peter Anvin et al
No child mode, aborting...
EDD: Error 1024 reading sector 17295016
Boot:

I can type in the "Boot" line.

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

Can you boot into Windows at all, specifically can you access the Command Prompt using the following method?

Open the Start menu and type cmd in the search box, cmd will appear above the search box in the results, right click on this and select Run as administrator.  This will open the Command Prompt.

When the Command prompt is open type in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

If this can't be run you will need a Windows 7 installation disc for the same version of Windows 7 you have installed.  If you have this or can borrow one let me know and I will provide you with a tutorial to access and use the command prompt to run commands from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

upon booting, it does not open windows boot manager or anything. It goes straight to that. I do not make it to a windows loading screen or anything. It is booting from the hard drive and upon starting, it goes straight to that.

Edited by hamluis, 15 April 2017 - 01:14 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,481 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

The last part of my post included the question of whether you had the installation disc or could borrow one.  I would like to know the answer to this.

If you don't have a copy of the installation disc you could call your local repair shop and see if they would make a installation disc for your version of Windows 7.  Ex:  Windows 7 home 64-bit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

I usb booted (have the disk right in front of me), shift + f10 and fixed it by repairing the system reserve. Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 15 April 2017 - 01:14 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,481 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Congratulations.  Sounds like you are good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users